I Fix Shit

1991.09.04 - The Palace, Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA

Post by helicine »

I was able to confirm this show today :cool:
1991.09.04 - The Palace, Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA
http://janesaddiction.org/tour/tour_det ... tourID=220
Billboard
August 24, 1991
Groups Get A Lollapalooza Of A Platform; Acts Nurture Nature; Rose's Legal Thorns
BYLINE: by Thom Duffy
SECTION: TALENT; The Beat; Pg. 26

Critic, editor, and musician Craig Lee, a key figure on the L.A. music scene for years, has developed an AIDS-related infection. Now the community Lee helped bolster through his work has responded with plans for a benefit, "Critical Mass," Sept. 4 at the Palace. Confirmed: fiREHOSE, L7, Circle Jerks with Alice Bag, Concrete Blonde in an acoustic set, reunions of Dream Syndicate and the Zeroes, El Vez, co-hosts Phranc and Vaginal Creme Davis, Lee's band Alarma, members of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, members of the Go-Go's, Mary's Danish, Perry Farrell narrating one of his films, Blackbird, Redd Kross, and others to be announced.
Billboard
October 26, 1991
SECTION: UPDATE; Lifelines; Pg. 86

Craig Lee, 38, of AIDS-related leucoencephalitis, Oct. 8 in Los Angeles. A noted Los Angeles music journalist and punk rock pioneer, Lee was music editor of the L.A. Weekly for two years, wrote criticism for the Los Angeles Times, and co-authored the punk rock history "Hardcore California." He was also a member of such seminal local punk groups as the Bags and Catholic Discipline. On Sept. 4, a cross-section of L.A. bands including members of Jane's Addiction, the Go-Go's, and X, raised money for Lee's medical expenses at "Critical Mass," a benefit concert at the Palace in Hollywood.
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1991.09.04 - The Palace, Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA

Post by Mike »

Nice find! :nod:
I've been looking for some form of confirmation of that show for years.

Now that it's confirmed the only show left that lacks confirmation from 1991 is this one:

09/25/1991 - Aloha Tower, Honolulu, HI
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
filthpurveyer
Club Lingerie

Post by filthpurveyer »

MTV News has a clip of this show as well but Eric wasn't at this show, an all acoustic set without Eric. I have these audios and I know there is video out there but I don't have it other that what was on youtube.

-9/4/91 “Craig Lee A.I.D.S. Benefit Concert”, The Palace, Hollywood, CA (“Ain’t No Right”/Acoustic) [A-] 4m
-9/4/91 “Craig Lee A.I.D.S. Benefit Concert”, The Palace, Hollywood, CA (“Ocean Size”/Acoustic) [A+] 3m
davy
Radio Tokyo

Post by davy »

Is there anyway you can post these two songs for download? I've been wanting these for years, but no one has ever had them. Thanks for all your previous downloads you have added some of my favorites to my collection!
filthpurveyer
Club Lingerie

Post by filthpurveyer »

davy wrote:Is there anyway you can post these two songs for download? I've been wanting these for years, but no one has ever had them. Thanks for all your previous downloads you have added some of my favorites to my collection!
Not at this time, not mine to share, just wanted to let people know what it out there audio wise. Check out youtube and watch ANR, it is on there, or at least used to be.
tvrec
L.A. Street Scene

Post by tvrec »

This show has been confirmed for a long time. . .
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

tvrec wrote:This show has been confirmed for a long time. . .
We knew it happened but prior to Erik finding those articles I'd not seen any type of proof.
I know Gavin has some info about it on his site but nothing to confirm it with.

http://somediverswhistle.com/shows/t090491.html

Am I missing something?
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
tvrec
L.A. Street Scene

Post by tvrec »

Handsome Mike wrote:
We knew it happened but prior to Erik finding those articles I'd not seen any type of proof.

Am I missing something?
Perhaps it has to do with differing notions of "confirmed." Here's the video for "Ain't No Right," posted on YouTube nearly three years ago with the same information noted on SomeDiversWhistle.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYgou2XEi2k[/youtube]
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

tvrec wrote:
Handsome Mike wrote:

Am I missing something?
Perhaps it has to do with differing notions of "confirmed." Here's the video for "Ain't No Right," posted on YouTube nearly three years ago with the same information noted on SomeDiversWhistle.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYgou2XEi2k[/youtube]
Yeah it's just differing notions of confirmed as you posted. :cheers:

What we're trying to do (what I've been working on for several years now) is to attach some sort of confirmation item to every show Jane's played between 10/13/85 and 9/26/91.

For a show to be confirmed we require one of the following: ticket stub, poster, flyer, or newsprint.
While some of those items can be wrong in some instances they provide some form of confirmation.
In the event the item is a review of a show it's proof positive.

I'm sure you are aware that many recordings dates have changed over the years.
Unless the source of the recording is the person that did the recording these dates cannot always be trusted.
filthpurveyer
Club Lingerie

Post by filthpurveyer »

As far as I'm concerned when I turned on MTV and watched MTV News on 9/5/91 and they showed Perry with the black eye during an acoustic Ocean Size and explained in detail what this show was from and about then that was enough for me but again that wasn't on paper to scan, just dvd to watch now.