1989.04.11 The Stone, San Francisco, CA

nothing's shocking
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1989.04.07 The Modesto Bee

Post by Mike »

intertwoven wrote:other SF shows are in the concert listings of this Modesto Bee.
Yeah it sure does.
Including the Peppers show you previously mentioned.

Pretty much every issue I've been able to peek at has a upcoming concerts listing.
It's just that every damn one of them fails to mention this show.

The rat bastards probably knew when they printed it that almost twenty years later us nerds / geeks would be trying to figure this shit out. :lol:
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Modesto is on of those places that while it's a "touch" far from SF/Oakland, it's also close enough to both SF/Oak and Sacramento that I just don't see them getting many concerts in general.

Also, FWIW, as shitty as the print is, it looks pretty clear to me that it the article shows "Sto" - it is what follows that is garbled to the point it could be any of a number of characters. It actually looks more like an "m" to me than an "ne"
clip.png
I'm going to do a few more online periodical searches to see if I can dig up this newspaper :headscratch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
janesaddiction.org
tvrec
L.A. Street Scene

Post by tvrec »

It totally makes sense that the Bee would list SF shows--it's close enough and has a much larger music scene, and I also agree that the print looks pretty clear: The Sto.... Still, given that the article is boiler plate material altered for a local publication, it's strange that the line doesn't read "The Stone in San Francisco." The LA Times often has concert listings for San Diego or Santa Barbara, for example, but they state the venue along with the location (e.g., at the Casbah is SD), whereas local gigs only get a venue (e.g., the El Rey).
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

tvrec wrote:It totally makes sense that the Bee would list SF shows--it's close enough and has a much larger music scene, and I also agree that the print looks pretty clear: The Sto.... Still, given that the article is boiler plate material altered for a local publication, it's strange that the line doesn't read "The Stone in San Francisco." The LA Times often has concert listings for San Diego or Santa Barbara, for example, but they state the venue along with the location (e.g., at the Casbah is SD), whereas local gigs only get a venue (e.g., the El Rey).
Hey tvrec, thanks for you imput.
I was on a piece of crap computer when I found that article but looking at the bit helicine posted above on my new PC I have to agree that it does indeed look like The Stone.

I'm sure enough about it that that's how I'm going to list it on the gig list.
I won't be putting it in as a confirmed show though and it will like many other shows need more research.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
helicine
I Fix Shit

Re: 1989.04.07 The Stone, San Francisco, CA

Post by helicine »

well, the LAPL doesn't have BAM in their archives... maybe if I get a chance to visit my sister in SF this summer I'll hit their library and see if I can dig something out. :noclue:

scratch that, might have gotten some BAM love afterall :nod:
janesaddiction.org
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Well, back to that original backup plan... they couldn't find the BAM archives we were told they had, and of course we didn't end up having time to dig through the stuff we had them pull. Oh well, it was absolutely worth it.
janesaddiction.org
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

4/11/89 @ The Stone is listed as an upcoming show for JA in the April 7, 1989 issue of BAM. I'll post scans soon.

this issue also confirms 4/12/89 and adds 4/10 at I-Beam:

http://forums.janesaddiction.org/viewto ... f=8&t=1762
janesaddiction.org
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Oh, for what it is worth, no mention of JA playing on 4/7 - but there was also no listing of anyone else playing The Stone on that night.
janesaddiction.org
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

can't scan right now, so here are some digital camera pix:

janesaddiction.org
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Took another look at the April 7 issue of BAM I picked up - and while there was nothing listed at The Stone on April 7 in the regular gig listings, I just noticed this ad for The Stone which lists another band playing on April 7. I think it is safe to say the Modesto Bee misprinted the date or possibly ran the article earlier than expected. It looks like I'm going to be in SF this August, so I'll do some digging. Anyway, here is a pic of the ad for The Stone:

janesaddiction.org