2009.05.30 Verizon Wireless Music Center, Noblesville, IN

Archived tour dates, reviews, and info
Jaco
Black Radio Club

Post by Jaco »

[quote="Nothing's Shocking"][quote="Jaco"]Here are the video's that I took. My wife and I had the pleasure of meeting Hydro, Mike, and a few others. All were so very nice.

I missed a few songs (forgot extra film). Enjoy.[/quote]

Hi Jaco, it was nice to meet you and your lovely wife too. :)
hydro didn't make it to this show.
I think you have her mixed up with Mothra665's wife Colleen.

Thanks for taping and sharing your video.
It looks and sounds pretty damn good!

I was watching you film and I bet your arm was killing you by the time the show was over.

I'm going to start transferring my audio this evening.
The recording came out pretty good but I missed the tail end of The She Did. :(
Rookie mistake but at least it sounds pretty good.[/quote]

Hi Mike. I did mistake Colleen for Hydro. I think the excitement of your pictures, the show, etc did that!

My are was killing me after. It's funny how a little camera can weigh a ton after 10 minutes. :cool:

Looking forward to hearing your recording. What a show!

Best,
Jaco
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Jaco wrote:Hi Mike. I did mistake Colleen for Hydro. I think the excitement of your pictures, the show, etc did that!

My are was killing me after. It's funny how a little camera can weigh a ton after 10 minutes. :cool:

Looking forward to hearing your recording. What a show!

Best,
Jaco
I'm telling you all I was holding up was a mic so I knew your arm was hurting.
It gives me even more respect for all the tapers out there that record these shows.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Roshambo
Black Radio Club

Post by Roshambo »

I tried to do some recording but wanted to enjoy the show more. I should have let you know I was going Mike. I would have liked to finally meet you. I am planning on Lolla this year so hopefully I can meet some of you great people there.

As far as the show....I was amazed at the sound quality. I was seated to the right of the soundboard guys and they looked like they were having a great time too! We even got an extra song in the setlist for this show =)

Glad to be back home. My doctor would be pissed if he knew I flew to Dallas onto Indianapolis to see a show and then fly to Chicago onto Tulsa. I have not been released for travel since I had back surgery. But it was sure worth it and the meds made it all possible ;-)
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Roshambo wrote:I tried to do some recording but wanted to enjoy the show more. I should have let you know I was going Mike. I would have liked to finally meet you. I am planning on Lolla this year so hopefully I can meet some of you great people there.

As far as the show....I was amazed at the sound quality. I was seated to the right of the soundboard guys and they looked like they were having a great time too! We even got an extra song in the setlist for this show =)

Glad to be back home. My doctor would be pissed if he knew I flew to Dallas onto Indianapolis to see a show and then fly to Chicago onto Tulsa. I have not been released for travel since I had back surgery. But it was sure worth it and the meds made it all possible ;-)
I'd of loved to have caught up to you and hung out.
Maybe next time and I've got a feeling we'll get a next time.

I thought the show was awesome but I enjoyed the Columbus show more.

Sorry to hear about your back.
That's serious fan dedication to have gone against Doctors orders and gone to the show.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

REVIEW: Jane’s Addiction, NIN & Street Sweeper Social Club @ the Verizon Center, Indy – 5/30

Posted by: Chris | June 2, 2009

1991. Not only was the last time Jane’s Addiction and Nine Inch Nails shared the stage, but it was also the last time all four original (or most popular) members of JA toured together. This year marked the inaugural Lollapalooza tour, which was Jane’s frontman Perry Farrell’s design to send his band off in style. Fast-forward 18 years later… the ever-changing lineup finally returns in original form to front the NIN|JA tour not only to commemorate the band’s return, but this time to send Nine Inch Nails off in style. Opening for both bands is Tom Morello’s (Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave) new project Street Sweeper Social Club.

This is Tom Morello here… so you already know what it sounds like. However this time around we’re introduced to Boots Riley (The Coup) as the rapper-with-swagger replacement to Zack de la Rocha’s spastic political punch-up. Don’t worry Rage fans… Morello brought the politics with him.

But if you were expecting a new direction from Morello… this definitely is not the music for you. SSSC’s performance is nearly as energetic as any Rage show and Morello proved over and over (by playing guitar with his teeth and doing the other weird shit that he does) that he’s still got what it takes to power through a set. His frantic playing transposed over Boots Riley dancing his ass off provided a good counterpoint to what became expected from Rage. The songs however mimic the format of any/every Rage song in the band’s collection. “Alright motherfuckers! Fight motherfuckers!” is Riley’s warcry during “The Oath”… I don’t feel like I need to point out any similarities to Zack de la Rocha’s lyrics. (Okay, I will. “Fuck you I won’t do what you tell me! We gotta take the power back! Rally ‘round the family! All of which are American dreams! All of which are American dreams! All of which…”)

As easy as the inferences can be drawn, I don’t really think it’s fair to push SSSC into that box. Riley, who I’ll add looks like the lovechild of Terrence Howard and Ludacris (with massive sideburns), was supremely relaxed during each song. He clearly has a much stronger hip-hop influence than de la Rocha, and therefore his ‘swagger’ comes out. Musically, SSSC differs from anything Morello has ever put his name on. Back-up vocals were provided by the bassist/drummer and believe it or not, Morello and SSSC’s bassist were playing different notes.

All in all SSSC’s show was actually really good. Outside of an uncomfortable cover of MIA’s “Paper Planes” the set was entertaining. SSSC’s original material is quite a departure from the balls-out politico oft applied to Tom Morello and felt somewhat welcome during the current state of the union. To cap off the show, Perry Farrell came out to sing ‘Happy Birthday’ to Tom Morello and declare to the crowd “We’re all gonna get laid tonight!” That came as extremely good news to me.

You can check out said original material when Street Sweeper Social Club’s self-titled album comes out on June 16th.

NIN’s Trent Reznor has titled this tour the band’s ‘Wave Goodbye’ tour, and what a shame that is. Not only was NIN’s set one of the most powerful performances I have ever seen… but Reznor did right by his fans by playing a wide range of the band’s extensive catalog as opposed to focusing solely on recent material (full setlist below).

To begin, Reznor came out wearing short-shorts. As un-dude as that seems, it’s probably a throwback to the 1991 Lollapalooza tour that made NIN a household name. With no words for the crowd, the band eased into the rarity “Home” (from the single for “The Hand that Feeds”) and powered directly into recent track “1,000,000” (from last years The Slip). So it began.

“We’re playing some weird shit tonight,” Reznor declared before The Downward Spiral’s “I Do Not Want This”. Here, Reznor and guitarist Robin Finck played dueling pianos… just a hint of the “weird shit” that was referred to earlier. A tambourine eventually joined the fold during Year Zero’s “The Good Soldier”, which as un-dude as that may seem it was actually pretty badass. Just picture… Trent Reznor, once frail but now built like a professional wrestler, wielding a tambourine against his microphone stand. That pleases me.

Incredible set, complete with an impromptu thunderstorm during The Downward Spiral’s title track, my night was fully realized before the headliner. Reznor says he is done with touring but not with music. Thank God. The last few NIN records have been varied and well produced, and I love a musician that is smart enough to hang up the touring shoes before it becomes a joke. I mean… this isn’t Dylan or Tom Petty here. This is Nine Inch Nails. The idea of Trent Reznor saying “I want to fuck you like an animal” in public at age 65 is not a good one. Obviously he realizes that, and went out like a champ.

Jane’s Addiction. Perry Farrell should possibly take a cue from Trent Reznor. While the 20+ year old Jane’s catalog oddly held up… the performance simply just could not. Bassist Eric Avery, the lone reunion holdout for years, still appeared as if he hated everyone. Farrell’s vocals may not have been able to cut it, because nearly every track performed was augmented to lower tones to fit to the range of his older voice. But guitarist/socialite Dave Navarro and drummer Stephen Perkins came to party… so let’s start saying good things.

I really only wanted to hear Jane’s classic “Three Days” at some point… and this was performed first thing. So I was a happy boy. It didn’t take long to realize that the song had been toned down and the tempo decelerated, but right around that time Dave Navarro turned up and proved to everyone how much they suck at everything. This got me pretty hyped, and this was just the beginning of a classic-filled set (partial setlist below).

The format was pretty simple… for every classic Farrell belted, the band allotted Navarro twice that amount of time to show off. During these periods, Navarro and Perkins played off one another, Avery stared at his shoes, and Farrell shook maracas, danced on boxes… all kinds of other crazy bullshit.

At a certain point, you have to realize that you’re lucky to be watching a classic group of artists perform regardless of their natural shortcomings. I wish I could say Jane’s Addiction hasn’t missed a beat, but as with many other artists, that is unfortunately not true. However, even with the level of energy unmatchable, it was great to hear songs that I love so much performed live. Some people have waited nearly 20 years to see this show. I only had to wait a few. It was well worth it.

I did not get laid that night.

Full NIN setlist

Home
Discipline
March of the Pigs
Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now)
Metal
Meet Your Master
Head Down
I Do Not Want This
Gave Up
The Fragile
The Downward Spiral
Wish
Survivalism
Mr. Self Destruct
Physical (You’re So)
The Good Soldier
The Hand that Feeds
Head Like a Hole
Hurt

Partial Jane’s Addiction setlist

Three Days
Whores
Ain’t No Right
Pigs in Zen
Mountain Song
Had a Dad
Been Caught Stealing
Ted, Just Admit It
1%
Ocean Size
Jane Says
http://backseatsandbar.wordpress.com/20 ... -indy-530/
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Concert review: Jane's Addiction, Nine Inch Nails, May 30

Posted on June 3, 2009 by Jeff Napier

The crowd at the Verizon Wireless Music Center looked split down the middle between fans of Nine Inch Nails and fans of Jane's Addiction. As it turned out, both camps got a hell of a show.

Nine Inch Nails turned in a set of newer material and obscure deep cuts that was a die-hard’s wet dream, performed flawlessly. The apex of the set was an intense reading of “The Fragile” colored by a fledging thunderstorm.

I still have problems with Trent Reznor doing “Hurt"; Johnny Cash took ownership of the Reznor-penned song, and Reznor should’ve retired it when Cash died. It's also strange to see Reznor looking buffed out; it was as if he'd done 1,000 push-ups and run 15 miles on the treadmill while reading Dianetics before taking the stage.

None of these caveats had much to do with the music, and this was one of Nine Inch Nail’s better shows in Indianapolis.

But when Perry Farrell and the reunited classic line-up of Jane’s Addiction hit the stage, the night was theirs. Their set was flawless, the band cherry-picking the best from Nothing Shocking and Ritual de lo Habitual and throwing in a rare and unexpected “1%” as well.

The band started with a magical “Three Days” and progressed through such gems as a grinding “Had A Dad,” a glorious “Pigs In Zen” and a obligatory “Jane Says.” Farrell can still get the crowd on his side, and the way he worked the stage showed no hint of a calf injury sustained earlier this month.

Mr. Hollywood Rock Star Dave Navarro offered up blistering leads on “Ted… Just Admit it” and “”Then She Did.” Top-notch work by Eric Avery made it clear that he's an essential part of Jane's Addiction's sound. The rhythm section of Avery on bass and Steven Perkins on drums killed on obvious songs like “Mountain Song” and “Ocean Size,” but it was on tunes like “Up The Beach” and “Summertime Rolls” that they really shined, keeping the undercurrent deep and muddy as Perry and Navarro surfed crashing waves of psychedelic goodness.

To be sure, this all smells like a cash grab. Reznor is reportedly disbanding the Nine Inch Nails brand after this victory lap, and Jane Addiction's is on tour because with Avery back in the fold, they can offer the original lineup for the first time since the late '90s. Whether this NIN/JA tour is a cash grab or not, it’s geared to making the fans walk out with a smile on their faces, having seen a show that was truly special.
http://www.nuvo.net/music/article/conce ... ils-may-30
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

heres some killer shot taken from my friend Ben!!
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 2009.05.30 Verizon Wireless Music Center, Noblesville, I

Post by Mike »

Bumped for archival purposes.