1987.03.14 - Nightbreak, San Francisco, CA

early daze
drifter
L.A. Street Scene

1987.03.14 - Nightbreak, San Francisco, CA

Post by drifter »

looking in your tour section i couldnt find this show.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... ORS%3A1123
i see it was in s.f. on friday the 13th at the nightbreaker club 1986ish. i hate i missed the bid on this one
helicine
I Fix Shit

Re: something interesting

Post by helicine »

curious... it actually says sat the 14th. Looking at the possible dates during the original lineup:

1985: Only possibility is December, but that just seems way too early for the boys to be heading up to SF for a gig.

1986: The only possibility of a Sat the 14th is June. We have a confirmed date in Reseda on 6/13 - so it is theoretically possible they headed up to SF the following day (they did this in 1987). However, we don't have any non-greater LA dates in 1986. It is possible, but it seems a little early in my opinion - but I could be wrong.

1987: Feb, March & Nov have Saturday the 14ths. Feb & Nov are out since we have confirmed shows on the 14ths of both of those months. March 14th is a possibility. JA did play in SF that Feb (following a gig in LA the previous night)

1988: May is the only option, and we don't have any other confirmed shows on that date.

1989: Jan and Oct have 14ths on Saturdays - but Jan is out w/ a confirmed show on that date. By Oct, JA was in the studio recording Ritual. The band was also playing larger venues by this time.

1990: April & July have 14ths on Saturdays - April would be out since they were still recording Ritual. July is theoretically possible assuming JA played there between Mt. Baldy and heading off to Europe.

1991 is out since the first Saturday the 14th is in Sept., and JA was supposed to be in New Zealand that day, and by now they were playing much larger venues.

Definitely something to look into. :cheers:
janesaddiction.org
helicine
I Fix Shit

Re: 198?.??.14 - Nightbreak, San Francisco, CA

Post by helicine »

Here is the poster in question. I've updated the post subject.
ja-sat14.jpg
There's a FB group for Nightbreak, and I found a couple of references to a Jane's show posted on there via google. I've asked to join the group to see if we can nail this sucker down. I'm thinking 1987, but it could still be 1986.

Thanks for finding this Drifter. We'll get this nailed down. :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
janesaddiction.org
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

That same seller has a bunch of posters and flyers for that venue for sale on eBay - found another one that's claiming to be from Friday, June 13, 1986:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beat-Girl-Eyes- ... 3cb4259a15
nightbreak_poster.jpg
That poster at least says it's June 13 - and unless it's actually from 1980, chances are it is indeed from 1986. So that would lend credibility to the JA poster being from 1987.

And for what it is worth, I haven't been able to find a single poster/flyer from that guy that is explicitly from March 87.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
janesaddiction.org
drifter
L.A. Street Scene

Post by drifter »

yep, looking like march 1987. which i could slip to s.f. and check the papers :)
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Started getting a bit of feedback from their Facebook group. Nothing definitive, but it's sounding more and more like Mar 87 is the right fit.

Interestingly enough, this may have uncovered yet another gig. Sounds like Nightbreak had a Sunday afternoon new-band-tryout sort of deal called "Sushi Sunday" that Jane's did.
janesaddiction.org
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

I've added this show to the gig database as an unconfirmed date:

http://janesaddiction.org/tour/show/jan ... 3-14/2282/
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1987.03.14 - Nightbreak, San Francisco, CA

Post by Mike »

I see there's been some further discussion in regard to the correct date for this show on the Nightbreak facebook page.

Those interested can follow along here:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

My money was on the March 14, 1987 date that helicine deduced being right but the posts on the facebook page definitely conflict with this date.

Hopefully somebody kept their ticket stub or something that can help to nail this one down?

I imagine shows at Nightbreak would have been listed in BAM but I've not seen this one in any of the issues I've had the chance to review but have not searched through them looking for it yet either.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

helicine wrote:curious... it actually says sat the 14th. Looking at the possible dates during the original lineup:

1985: Only possibility is December, but that just seems way too early for the boys to be heading up to SF for a gig.

1986: The only possibility of a Sat the 14th is June. We have a confirmed date in Reseda on 6/13 - so it is theoretically possible they headed up to SF the following day (they did this in 1987). However, we don't have any non-greater LA dates in 1986. It is possible, but it seems a little early in my opinion - but I could be wrong.

1987: Feb, March & Nov have Saturday the 14ths. Feb & Nov are out since we have confirmed shows on the 14ths of both of those months. March 14th is a possibility. JA did play in SF that Feb (following a gig in LA the previous night)

1988: May is the only option, and we don't have any other confirmed shows on that date.

1989: Jan and Oct have 14ths on Saturdays - but Jan is out w/ a confirmed show on that date. By Oct, JA was in the studio recording Ritual. The band was also playing larger venues by this time.

1990: April & July have 14ths on Saturdays - April would be out since they were still recording Ritual. July is theoretically possible assuming JA played there between Mt. Baldy and heading off to Europe.

1991 is out since the first Saturday the 14th is in Sept., and JA was supposed to be in New Zealand that day, and by now they were playing much larger venues.

Definitely something to look into. :cheers:
I just wanted to add a bit to my previous post and touch on a couple of the other possible dates you've mentioned.

December 14, 1985 - Were Dave and Stephen there? If not this is the date for this show. If so, then this date isn't possible. It's as simple as that and surely someone who was in attendance will be able to tell us one way or the other.

June 14, 1986 - I agree this was still very early on for the band to be heading up to San Francisco for a show but based on the posts on the Nightbreak page this date seems the most likely. But the poster shows Jane's as the headliner for the show and they weren't headlining any shows this early on. In addition (and I've mentioned this before) Jane's only played what I've been told was a "handful" of shows prior to their debut show at The Scream on June 27, 1986. If June 14, 1986 is the date for this show then the "handful" is getting bigger again?

For all the reasons helicine made in his post I think the only three dates possible for this show are December 14, 1985, June 14, 1986, and March 14, 1987.

One thing I'd like to know that might change my opinion on this is what was the capacity of the venue?
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

The only reason I even "suggest" Dec '85 is that it works out on a calendar. For every practical reason, it is unrealistic.

Here is some more fodder for June '86

Similar style, and date wise that fits as May '86 but not May '87

But that would also have to mean that this poster is not '86 like the eBay auction suggested:

janesaddiction.org