2011.09.24 Metro Chicago,IL

Archived tour dates, reviews, and info
hydro
Addict

Re: Metro - Chicago

Post by hydro »

awesome Jaco!!! Glad you had an awesome time!

I have a post and a few videos from last night over in the "show for the whole family" forum
http://forums.janesaddiction.org/viewto ... f=9&t=2577
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
meijaddiction
Black Radio Club

Post by meijaddiction »

Hydro,
I'm sure Perry didn't disappoint....if he didn't get your juices flowing, nothing will...huh!!!!
I'll never forget him trying to get that joint to spark @ the HOB when SP played there. I still can taste the wine he poured in my cup that night : @
Did "Handsome Mike" accompany you to Chi-town????
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

meijaddiction wrote:Hydro,
I'm sure Perry didn't disappoint....if he didn't get your juices flowing, nothing will...huh!!!!
I'll never forget him trying to get that joint to spark @ the HOB when SP played there. I still can taste the wine he poured in my cup that night : @
Did "Handsome Mike" accompany you to Chi-town????
I wish we would of went looks like it was awesome!! no neither of us went I just ment that I made a post and posted some youtube vids from other people...
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Same here. Really wanted to go, even considered trying to impose and friends and family who live in Chicago - but it just wasn't in the cards for me either.
janesaddiction.org
hydro
Addict

Re: 2011.09.24 Metro Chicago,IL

Post by hydro »

Whores
Just Because
Ain't No Right
Ted, Just Admit It...
Been Caught Stealing
End to the Lies
Ocean Size
Three Days
Irresistible Force
Up the Beach
Mountain Song
Stop!
Encore:
Jane Says
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/janes-add ... 00df5.html
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Metro crowd won’t let go of Jane’s Addiction
Now here’s something I haven’t seen in quite a while. Jane’s Addiction wrapped its brief reunion set Saturday night at Metro, played a single encore, then stumbled back offstage. But the fans weren’t in the same hurry to move along; they stood their ground, still cheering as the houselights came up, genuinely begging for more.

For an instant, it looked like they might get the second encore they wanted, but no such luck. Roadies started pulling plugs. The crowd was so fired up, a lot of folks just stood there singing along with the Pink Floyd on the PA.

Did I mention this was Jane’s Freaking Addiction? In 2011?

“Wow, 20 years and we still suck, right?” frontman Perry Farrell chortled to the crowd midway through the show. “We still don’t know what the f--- we’re doing. ... But we’re gonna be something someday.”

Much was written last week about the end of R.E.M., the band that built the bridge from post-punk to alternative rock. Waiting for them at the end of the 1980s was Jane’s Addiction, a trashy Los Angeles clubland band that wrote much of the declaration for the “alternative nation” — but then didn’t stick around to enjoy the fruits of its labors. After three years and three albums, Farrell built the first Lollapalooza in 1991 as a celebratory farewell tour for Jane’s Addiction, and today it lives on every summer in Chicago’s Grant Park.

But in 1988, Jane’s Addiction launched its second album, “Nothing’s Shocking,” with two shows at the Metro. This is Jane’s third go-round, and next month the band releases its first new album in eight years, “The Great Escape Artist.” Impressively, Jane’s performed a few of the new songs Saturday without ever mentioning that fact or hawking the record between songs. New songs “End to the Lies” and “Irresistible Force” fit right into the otherwise nostalgic set (“Mountain Song,” “Jane Says”).

Farrell — who also made time to drop in on a “Yo Gabba Gabba!” show in Rosemont — jittered and gyrated with the energy of 20 years ago, dancing like a boxer in skinny jeans and a tank top. He swigged from a wine bottle and spanked the two female dancers who pointlessly strutted around the stage. He grinned mischievously through “Been Caught Stealing” as if he still snatched stuff; at the end of that song, with Farrell’s final “It’s mine,” a fan up front handed him a camera.

He twiddled knobs to drench his wails in reverb while the band stomped out creaky grooves. That’s pretty much the Jane’s formula, and the band worked that last nerve for 13 songs. Guitarist Dave Navarro — the epitome of the journeyman guitar wanker — stripped off his shirt early to show off his tattoos and gym membership, dragged on a cigarette he kept pinched between guitar strings, and stood largely still with his leg thrown onto a monitor while playing utterly professional, scale-shattering solos. He came alive during the lengthy “Three Days” and “Ocean Size,” the same time one of the night’s three (count ’em, three) crowd surfers took flight.

Jane’s Addiction’s fractured history leaves it with only a few real highlights, and a short, sharp show packs more of a wallop than if they went on for three hours. Saturday’s show was barely 75 minutes, but it didn’t feel rushed or cut short. Then again, I wasn’t one of the ones standing there singing “Wish You Were Here” as security was moving people toward the door.

PICTURES

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/m ... ction.html
drifter
L.A. Street Scene

Post by drifter »

ive watched the jane's video several times and i must say that looked like a fucking fantastic time :rockon:
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Here is the setlist courtesy of this recording: http://forums.janesaddiction.org/viewto ... f=2&t=2589

Whores
Just because
Ain't No Right
Ted, Just Admit It...
Been Caught Stealing
End To The Lies
Ocean Size
Three Days
Irresistible Force
Up The Beach
Mountain Song
Stop!

Encore:
Jane Says
janesaddiction.org
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »