Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 2012.03.02 The Palace Theatre, Albany, NY

Post by Mike »

Get hooked on Jane's Addiction

Published: Wednesday, February 29, 2012

By DON WILCOCK
entertainment518@|journalregister.com

ALBANY — Bass player Chris Chaney distinctly remembers his first phone call from Perry Farrell, founder of the band Jane’s Addiction:

“Dude, you better nail it, man!”

“That was how I came in,” Chaney said.

He can laugh about it now, 11 years later, as he prepares for the band’s Theatre of the Escapists tour performance at the Palace Theatre Friday night. But at the time, he was stressed.

Here he was, going on the road with the band credited with inventing alternative rock, and he wouldn’t be able to sit in on a single rehearsal because of his own busy schedule. Chaney was talking to not only the brains of this iconic band, but the founder of Lollapalooza, the archetype of modern American music festivals.

“I had a little stress, a little extra added bonus of pressure,” he said.

More than a decade later, Chaney still shares bass-playing credits with Dave Sitek on the new Jane’s Addiction album “The Great Escape Artist.” And he’s seen two other bass players come and go, one of them founding member Eric Avery, who started the band with Farrell in 1985.

On one level, you’d have to say Chaney is a hired gun. But what a hired gun.

I caught up with him on his cell phone a couple of weeks ago will he was stuck in L.A. traffic between a morning studio session cutting five songs with Joe Cocker and an afternoon rehearsal for the Jane’s Addiction tour, which was to begin five days later. By Chaney’s own estimation, in the last year alone he has recorded music for 25 major movies, including “300,” “The 40-Year-Old Virgin” and “Date Night.” He’s also recorded with 25 big-name name artists, including Meatloaf, John Fogerty and Sara Bareilles.

“I’m just a lifer. I don’t care what it is,” Chaney said. “I just love making music, and I’m blessed to do it. I never lose sight of that. I will literally play the dive bar or the platinum arena and everything in between or beyond or below. And I still practice. I still work at my craft every day.”

If this story has a certain déju vu quality about it, you may be recalling my recent interview with another hired gun, Megadeth guitarist Chris Broderick. But the differences are more striking than the similarities.

Whereas Broderick says he’s pretty much in lockstep every night, Chaney describes a touring style that’s more improvisational, more in keeping with a jam band than a hard rock outfit.

“It’s never the same way twice,” he said. “(Perry Farrell) will sing the same lyrics, but his phrasing, the melodies, the way he uses his effects ... not many singers use effects in their vocals where they’re in control of them, I mean manipulating them.”

I got the decided impression that this guy places Farrell right up there with the best artists he’s played with.

“Everyone is at a level where if Dave (Navarro on guitar) plays a riff, quotes something from Pink Floyd, for example, we can go with him and be comfortable, and we’ll just do it live,” Chaney said.

This reporter has never seen Jane’s Addiction live, but to have inspired so many great rock bands — from Nirvana and Pearl Jam to Nine Inch Nails and Smashing Pumpkins — this guy Farrell must have something very special going on. You can sense it in their YouTube videos. And I could feel it when Chaney talked about his band leader.

“It’s almost as if you could mesh David Bowie and Iggy Pop and you get Perry, or even add a little sprinkle of Freddie Mercury,” he said. “You know, flamboyancy and showmanship are in there as well. In my personal opinion, he’s one of the most magnetic front men of all time.”

WHERE: Palace Theatre,

19 Clinton Ave., Albany

WHEN: 8:30 p.m. Friday

TICKETS: 1 (800) 745-3000, www.palacealbany.com
http://saratogian.com/articles/2012/02/ ... 295757.txt
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Godflesh999 wrote:Ordered my tix yesterday!
cool! have fun!
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Jane's Addiction promises a new experience at the Palace
Perry Farrell promises whole new experience for Jane's Addiction fans

By Alan Sculley
Published 03:50 p.m., Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A band promising a new type of concert experience usually sounds like little more than hype.

But coming from Perry Farrell, such a promise carries more weight. This is the man, after all, who founded the touring Lollapalooza Festival in 1991 – an event that brought a whole new type of multi-act, multimedia tour to the summer live music scene.

Now Farrell is saying his band, Jane's Addiction, will give fans a different kind of concert than they've ever experienced on its theater tour this winter.

"I feel that it might be time for a new experience when people go out and listen to music and see musicians playing," he said.

"Concerts have been around for 50 years now. From the concert, came the festival. But where do we go from here? It doesn't necessarily have to go bigger. Things can actually become more intimate. And within that intimacy, when I mean intimate, I mean not only smaller, but the crowd will be more immersed in the performance. And the band, or the group, would be immersed into the audience. So that's what I'm working on."

Farrell didn't spell out exactly how Jane's Addiction will achieve this immersive concert experience, but he said there will be a film component to the show and a specific look that he described as "1920's surrealist twist mixed with a '60s Warhol pop."

Also, look for a show that's not confined to the stage.

"What you want to do is you want to stretch out past just the stage," Farrell said. "You want to stretch yourself out past those monitors. And you also want to reach out and bring the audience closer to you, so you're not divided by barricades."

And there will be new music, courtesy of "The Great Escape Artist," the CD Jane's Addiction released in the fall. It's only the fourth studio album from a group that has had a stormy, intermittent — and influential — history.

Formed in Los Angeles in 1985, the group – which included singer Farrell, guitarist Dave Navarro, drummer Stephen Perkins and bassist Eric Avery – shook up the music scene with the wiry, kinetic and thoroughly modern style of rock that populated its first two CDs, 1988's "Nothing's Shocking" and 1990's "Ritual de lo Habitual," two albums that blazed a trail for the generation of alt-rock acts that followed.

But then the group broke up, and two previous reunions – including one that produced the 2003 CD "Strays" — failed to take.

The latest reunion, which began in 2008, had its rocky moments as well. The original lineup attempted to start the new CD with Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor producing. It did not go well.

"It was a damn frustration, man," Farrell said. "We started out, we wrote a couple of tracks. They were pretty good, but they needed some work. But we immediately butted heads, to the point where there were complete blow-ups, to be honest with you. The band exploded, fighting over, just trying some different notes."

Avery then bowed out and was replaced by former Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagen. Three songs from that period – "Ultimate Reason," "Broken People" and "Words Right Out of my Mouth" – made it onto "The Great Escape Artist" CD. But Farrell said much of the writing fell too close to "derivative straight rock," and McKagen split from the group in September 2010.

Farrell, Navarro and Perkins, though, did not give up on Jane's. With producer Rich Costey on board, the band resumed work on "The Great Escape Artist." It was Costey who suggested bringing in a fourth musician, TV On The Radio's Dave Sitek – a talented producer in his own right – to join the creative team and play bass on the CD.

Sitek injected a whole new energy and focus into the project – as well as some fresh sonic ideas.

"We've always been a band that was learning about music, learning about sound and then giving people the most contemporary sound that we could," Farrell said. "And Dave (Sitek) was kind of the vehicle. He was a key to opening the door to those sounds and teaching the guys how to play with those instruments and the software that he had. They were up for it and they really got it together. It was a longer process, but guess what, it's not derivative."

The sound on "The Great Escape Artist" has some new facets for Jane's Addiction. The psychedelic overtones and edgy atmosphere of the band's music remain, but there's a new layer of electronics and other sonic effects within the sound, while many of the songs are more anthemic than in the past and boast some of the most inviting melodies and hooky instrumental parts Jane's Addiction has ever created.

Now, with "The Great Escape Artist" under the band's belt (and bassist Chris Chaney in the touring lineup), Farrell is optimistic about the future of Jane's Addiction.

"I'm very enthusiastic about us," he said. "I see us doing another record, and it won't take another eight years. It will come faster than anybody ever thought."

Alan Sculley is a freelance writer.

At a glance

Jane's Addiction

With Black Box Revelation

When: 8:30 p.m. Friday

Where: Palace Theatre, 19 Clinton Ave., Albany

Tickets: $29.50-$49.50

Info: 465-3334; http://www.palacealbany.com
http://www.timesunion.com/entertainment ... 371200.php
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Godflesh999
Xenon West

Post by Godflesh999 »

Setlist:

Underground
Just Because
Mountain Song
[Dave did a "Breathe" (Pink Floyd) tease in between songs]
Been Caught Stealin'
Ain't No Right
Ted, Just Admit It
Broken People
I Would For You
Jane Says
Chip Away
End of the Lies
Three Days
Stop!
[Encore] - Words Right Out of My Mouth, Ocean Size

Pretty decent show, but felt a little disjointed in places...I Would for You had to be restarted because Chris's bass was out of tune. The slower songs kind of killed the momentum they had going at the beginning, but the end of the show was pretty blazing, IMO.
Godflesh999
Xenon West

Post by Godflesh999 »

And nice pic, whoever took it. My wife tried to take one with her iphone, but the marquee was too bright...didn't come out.
Godflesh999
Xenon West

Post by Godflesh999 »

Also...I saved my tix, so if you'd like a scan for the site, I'd be more than happy to oblige. Lemme know...
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Godflesh999 wrote:Setlist:

Underground
Just Because
Mountain Song
[Dave did a "Breathe" (Pink Floyd) tease in between songs]
Been Caught Stealin'
Ain't No Right
Ted, Just Admit It
Broken People
I Would For You
Jane Says
Chip Away
End of the Lies
Three Days
Stop!
[Encore] - Words Right Out of My Mouth, Ocean Size

Pretty decent show, but felt a little disjointed in places...I Would for You had to be restarted because Chris's bass was out of tune. The slower songs kind of killed the momentum they had going at the beginning, but the end of the show was pretty blazing, IMO.
Awe nice you got to hear Broken People for the first time they've played it this tour.
How'd you like it? Did it go over well? Did they play it acoustic or electric?
I heard it back in 2010 both acoustic or electric and liked it really well.
One of my favorites on the new album.