Godflesh999
Xenon West

Re: 2012.03.02 The Palace Theatre, Albany, NY

Post by Godflesh999 »

Godflesh999
Xenon West

Post by Godflesh999 »

Mike wrote: Awe nice you got to hear Broken People for the first time they've played it this tour.
How'd you like it? Did it go over well? Did they play it acoustic or electric?
I heard it back in 2010 both acoustic or electric and liked it really well.
One of my favorites on the new album.
Hey, Mike...I was rummaging around some song facts just now in the Song Info section, and I noticed that the blurb in there mentions that the Broken People has not been played live since Duff left the band...
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Godflesh999 wrote:
Mike wrote: Awe nice you got to hear Broken People for the first time they've played it this tour.
How'd you like it? Did it go over well? Did they play it acoustic or electric?
I heard it back in 2010 both acoustic or electric and liked it really well.
One of my favorites on the new album.
Hey, Mike...I was rummaging around some song facts just now in the Song Info section, and I noticed that the blurb in there mentions that the Broken People has not been played live since Duff left the band...
I don't mess with that part of the site and helicine will need to update it when he gets time.
I'm sure he'll fix it though.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

yep, I'm working on a overhaul of that section :nod:
janesaddiction.org
Godflesh999
Xenon West

Post by Godflesh999 »

Cool...sorry, didn't mean to sweat ya on it... ;)
Godflesh999
Xenon West

Post by Godflesh999 »

Three Days
(Audio a little distorted :( )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISVxcDKD ... re=related
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Jane’s Addiction

by Jeremy D. Goodwin on March 8, 2012

PALACE THEATRE, MARCH 2

Fuckin’ A.

Midway through a thoroughly gripping, third-tune “Mountain Song,” it occurred to me very clearly: In a more just musical world, Jane’s Addiction would be U2. Or vice versa.

In a sold-out, Friday night concert at the Palace Theatre, Jane’s was an utter behemoth, coaxing heavy, gooving stadium rock from the band’s four musical voices. Together they were epic and authoritative, 100 percent in control at all times—a tattooed, horny, vaguely dangerous air crew locked comfortably in cruising altitude. There may as well have been an S&M laser show.

And so it all was prefaced, with house lights down, by the original studio versions of Pink Floyd’s “Welcome to the Machine” and “Have a Cigar,” a wink at the inevitable (yet misplaced) cynicism that might interpret this current tour as merely a Lollapalooza-era nostalgia act cashing in on the hits. After all, in 2012, “Jane Says” is now as old as (holy shit) Bob Dylan’s “Mr. Tambourine Man” was on the day their studio debut Nothing’s Shocking was released.

But the setlist was split almost evenly among the band’s two early, reputation-defining albums and its 2011 comeback The Great Escape Artist. (One song was thrown in from tepidly received 2003 effort Strays, plus a couple that first surfaced on the band’s eponymous live debut.) Greatest hit “Been Caught Stealing” was slipped in, inconspicuously, as the fourth number, and the mighty “Jane Says” was just part of the flow and not a lighter-waving showstopper.

The band honored their legacy but felt entirely relevant, sounding fully committed to both old material and new, while rocking harder than has been fashionable for quite a while.

Perry Farrell spent much of the night wearing a white undershirt, fingerless leather gloves and olive-colored pants as he cavorted about the stage, spinning, reaching for the sky, offering a bottle of wine to the front row and, later, receiving a joint in kind. “I Would for You” was pretty but never sappy, while favorites like “Ted, Just Admit It . . .” and set-closer “Stop!” were propelled by Farrell’s suitably emphatic delivery and joyous charisma. Dave Navarro was in full, shirtless, leather-panted glory as he ambled to the stage lip to assume his unsmiling, legs-spread-pelvis-thrusted rock-god stance for a series of metal-tinged solos. In “Three Days,” his lines, elsewhere all magic-marker squiggles, sounded seared and frayed before turning guttural.

Drummer Stephen Perkins, as expected, was a total powerhouse, providing a muscular backbeat that was unsubtle but never bombastic—as comfortable luxuriating in the slinky grooves of “Ted . . .” as in its jackhammer bridge. Chris Chaney, currently occupying the only revolving chair in the band’s lineup, atoned for his seven years backing Alanis Morissette with syrupy basslines that echoed the recorded work of original member Eric Avery and maintained great presence in the mix.

This wasn’t spontaneous or raw—it was show biz, it was rock and roll, it was glorious. We won’t see Jane’s Addiction playing the Super Bowl halftime show anytime soon. But that’s our loss.
http://metroland.net/2012/03/08/janes-addiction/
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

LIVE: Jane’s Addiction @ the Palace Theatre, 3/2/12

Review by Kirsten Ferguson
Photographs by Andrzej Pilarczyk
Additional photographs by Kirsten Ferguson. Click here to see more of her photos from this show.

“Are you ready to come yet?” Perry Farrell asked the sold-out Palace Theatre crowd as a prelude to the night’s final Jane’s Addiction song – a thundering version of “Ocean Size.” After Farrell stalked the stage in his insanely limber-kneed style, dipping close to the audience so they could paw at him, the singer lifted his beater-tee, flashed the crowd his bare chest and pointedly lit a “post-coital” cigarette.

If the Palace show was paced for build-up-and-release, then the end – which came after a set full of crowd pleasers from the band’s first two albums, “Nothing’s Shocking” and “Ritual de lo Habitual” – hadn’t felt quite like satiation. The crowd, adoring to the end, probably would have preferred to drag things out much longer.

Before embarking on this tour of theater-sized venues for Jane’s Addiction’s latest album, “The Great Escape Artist” – their first since reuniting in 2008 after several years apart – Farrell, guitarist Dave Navarro, drummer Stephen Perkins and bassist Chris Chaney promised an “orgy of musical and visual delights.”

There was plenty of visual weirdness – not quite connected to any narrative, but still cool to look at – including the two dancers (including Farrell’s wife Etty) who started the night on a trapeze bar high above the stage in immensely long wedding dresses, as well as a mystery figure who appeared with a doll and a noose just prior to a mid-show acoustic set featuring the band’s steel-drum powered ballad, “Jane Says.”

The intimate Palace setting suited the band well. Although Farrell sounded hoarse – he admitted onstage that he’d lost his voice – he made up for it by being an explosive and unpredictable frontman, who spent much of the show working the front rows and slapping hands like a rock and roll politician. A more serious Navarro straddled the stage like a tattooed, nipple-ringed guitarist/love-boy, dodging women trying to grab his legs.

“So this is the state capitol of New York? I’ve never been here,” Farrell said before an explosive version of “Been Caught Stealing,” the band’s biggest hit. He may not remember, and yeah, technically they weren’t in Albany, but there’s a good chance many people in the crowd attended one or both of Jane’s Addiction’s prior area appearances: their 1991 show at the RPI Fieldhouse in Troy or Farrell’s inaugural Lollapalooza at SPAC that same year.

The churning “Ted, Just Admit It” – with its reverberating “sex is violent” refrain – was one of the highlights of the set. And then Farrell came out chugging a bottle of wine during the plaintive “Broken People” – one of the best songs from “The Great Escape Artist” – before passing the bottle among the crowd. (Did I really drink from that? There must have been at least 30 mouths on the thing.)

“Fuck the Black Keys,” someone in the crowd yelled before “Sealed with Thorns,” a song during the enjoyable, hard-working opening set by Belgian rockers Black Box Revelation, who share the two-piece guitar/drums set-up and fuzzy blues-rock leanings with the better known American garage rock band.

SECOND OPINIONS:
Andrew Hill’s photographs at State of Mind
Jeremy D. Goodwin’s review and Martin Benjamin’s photographs at Metroland
Sarah Foss’ review at Foss Forward
Shannon Fromma’s review at The Times Union
Excerpt from Brian McElhiney’s review at The Daily Gazette: Highlights included the snaking bass grooves of ‘Been Caught Stealing’ and the percussive grooves on ‘Ain’t No Right.’ Throughout, Farrell was the primary focus, whether he was leaning down to high-five fans in the first row, dancing with two female models who made appearances throughout the night or throwing his head back and really digging into the lyrics. Navarro was the other pillar of showmanship, lighting into snarling noise solos while the rhythm section held down the music’s fat grooves. Best of all was set centerpiece ‘Sex is Violent,’ featuring a near-recreation of the cover of the band’s 1990 classic ‘Ritual de lo Habitual.’ The band turned the song into another groove-fest, stretching out as the audience chanted along.”

JANE’S ADDICTION SET LIST
Underground
Just Because
Mountain Song
Been Caught Stealing
Ain’t No Right
Ted, Just Admit It
Broken People
I Would for You
Jane Says
Chip Away
End to the Lies
Three Days
Stop!
ENCORES
Words Right Out of My Mouth
Ocean Size
http://www.nippertown.com/2012/03/09/li ... atre-3212/

Follow the link above to checkout some photos from the show.
Godflesh999
Xenon West

Post by Godflesh999 »

Thanks to Saddictionjane (who posted quite a few videos of this show yesterday)

A clip of Broken People

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1waO89JA ... 5DO09N4Ns=
Godflesh999
Xenon West

Post by Godflesh999 »

Thanks, again, to SaddictionJane

A short clip of End to the Lies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWA1rB7t ... EeIvWIMNs=