janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 2012.03.07 Palace Theatre, Waterbury, CT

Post by Mike »

Jane's Addiction plays Waterbury Palace

Sean Spillane
Published 06:58 p.m., Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Jane's Addiction will perform at the Palace Theater in Waterbury Wednesday night, March 7, at 8:30. Photo: Contributed Photo / CT

The reunited Jane's Addiction is returning to the state for a concert at the Palace Theater in Waterbury, and drummer Stephen Perkins has fond memories of the band's visit last summer, when it was one of the headliners at the Gathering of the Vibes music festival in Bridgeport.

"That was a great night for me. I loved it," he said in a recent phone interview from his home in Los Angeles. "First of all, I got to stand behind Elvis (Costello) when he was playing and I was tuning my drums. Then, (Grateful Dead drummer) Mickey Hart was backstage and I've known Mickey for many years and my group Banyan has done some shows with him and the Rhythm Devils. So it was great to see him and introduce him to the fellows in Jane's.

"And we got to stretch our music out. ... That kind of day, surrounded by all of those great musicians and the spirit of jamming and letting the music flow, you really have a good night. A lot of the songs we were playing were 25 years old, so it was nice to kind of step back and let them flow and see what would happen. It was a real fun night for me."

For the concert Wednesday night, March 7, fans can expect to hear some of the group's older hits, combined with songs from its new record, "The Great Escape Artist," which came out in October.

The reviews in the music press have generally been positive, but Perkins doesn't really pay attention. He said he's more concerned with "my own reaction and that of my circle of friends."

For Jane's Addiction -- which also includes singer Perry Farrell, guitarist Dave Navarro and returning bassist Chris Chaney (who played with the band from 2001-02) -- it is just the fourth studio album since the band's inception in 1985.

The group has gone on a few extended hiatuses during that time and gone through a few bass players, but Perkins is happy with the band's direction and the new record, no matter what difficulties there were in the recording sessions.

"It's a piece of art," he said. "When you're making a piece of art, you might go home and come back the next day and not like it. Another guy might go home and come back the next day and love it. If you want to please everybody, it can take a long time to get there.

"You work on it for a year and, just like any Jane's Addiction record, there's blood, sweat and tears. We've only made four records in 30 years, so that's why we have to be in the right state of mind and we have to be committed. We shed members, especially bass players, exactly for that reason, for the commitment it takes to create something that we can all stand behind.

"It's not like the old days, where we would do it all first on stage, and by the time we went in the studio, it was just put the microphones up and let's document it. Nowadays, we don't have that. We are making music in the studio, so it's harder to say we're done because we really like to explore."

When work on "The Great Escape Artist" began, former Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagen was involved in the project, eventually being replaced by Dave Sitek of TV on the Radio. By the time the record was finished, Chaney was on board as touring bassist and he also would contribute to the sessions.

"We did some great shows with Duff, and we wrote some great songs, but you have to really commit to Jane's Addiction and it's not his band," Perkins said. "He realized it was a long road and that there was a lot to go into the project.

"The thing with Jane's is that we have great, beautiful old habits and Dave Sitek has nothing to do with those habits and he throws a wrench into the whole thing and that was exciting. He was great to work with because he was all about less talking, more making music."

You would think that the drummer would be the one most negatively effected by the seemingly endless parade of bassists, but Perkins said he relishes the opportunity to work with new musicians.

"I've been digging it my whole life," he said. "(Original bassist) Eric (Avery) was really the guy that helped my form my polyrhythmic tribal approach. His bass playing was completely perfect for that. And the first tour without Eric was with Flea (of Red Hot Chili Peppers) and that was amazing. Me and Flea got into it because he was so serious about doing everything right."

Forming a tight rhythm section with assorted bassists hasn't been an obstacle for Perkins, and he believes that Jane's Addiction is at its best because each member's individuality is allowed to flourish with the group.

"We're all into something different," he said. "My record collection's got nothing to do with Dave's, and Dave's collection has nothing to do with Perry's, etc.

"When we're in our Jane's Addiction frame of mind and the chemistry is coming together, everything comes natural because we're all bringing to the table what we are."

sspillane@ctpost.com; 203-330-6355

The Palace Theater, 100 E. Main St., Waterbury. Wednesday, March 7, 8:30 p.m. $50.50, $40.50. 203-346-2000, www.palacetheaterct.org.
http://www.ctpost.com/music/article/Jan ... 368345.php
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
saw9
Black Radio Club

Post by saw9 »

I have a ticket for tomorrow night in the 3rd row, I'm in Boston so you'd have to get it from me there as if I sell it, I won't be in CT for the show. If you are interested let me know.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Anyone here make it to the show last night?
If so were there any surprises in the set list?
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Pictures: Jane’s Addiction Rocks Waterbury’s Palace Theater

By Harris posted March 08, 2012 at 11:320

Last night, we were able to take a trip to Connecticut to check out Jane’s Addiction. A band that we have seldom covered at TAM, we were really eager to see what these guys were all about. After watching them warm up backstage in a private, candle lit “jam session,” we were completely blown away by their power and energy on stage. The first picture in this gallery is from that jam session before the concert.
http://truthaboutmusic.com/truthaboutmu ... e-theater/

Follow the link above for pictures from the show.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Review: A 90-Minute Uncut Blast Of Jane's Addiction

By Jack Coraggio Special to the Courant

11:44 a.m. EST, March 8, 2012

Here’s a misnomer: Theatre of the Escapists.

Maybe it’s a less misleading tour title when applied to elsewhere venues. But at the narrow Palace Theater in Waterbury, there was simply no escape from the tremendous sound of distinctively alternative rock that enveloped the hall and smothered the crowd when Jane’s Addiction crashed there Wednesday.

It was a very concentrated 90-minute blast of uncut and unruly alt aimed without arc, if blunted at all it was only by a few moments of sonically lopsided nostalgia.

The Los Angeles act, still boyish and rambunctious, is again reunited and supporting its first new release in nearly a decade. And the show opened that way, with “Underground” off that latest effort, “The Great Escape Artist.”

It’s a stout little tune, performed in unmistakable Jane’s Addiction style with singer Perry Farrell’s high vocals juxtaposed to Chris Chaney’s low bass notes, but it wasn’t as fetching as the stage performance beyond them. A recurring theme throughout the evening: a twisted but static performance on high, reminiscent of Cirque du Soleil by sadists and masochists.

Then the rumbling intro of “Mountain Song” had the crowd immediately erupt with excitement, a feeling exacerbated by the band’s volcanic showing of this early alternative treasure turned beer commercial.

It may have been because the music was so notably forceful - even if guitarist and everyday ham Dave Navarro came across uncharacteristically subdued compared to the physically frenetic front man - but the 52-year-old Farrell’s voice seemed to have trouble keeping pace with his manic antics.

When the band broke into the familiar ode to petty theft, “Been Caught Stealing,” Farrell clearly started measures to preserve his pipes. It was only the fourth song in, and there were 11 more to get through.

Figure it was a welcome break for him when halfway through the show the band huddled up for an acoustic performance of the warm sea breeze alt ballad “Classic Girl.” That was followed up with a comparatively unceremonious but Caribbean-tinged, with steel drums and everything, version of signature tune “Jane Says.”

The subsequent “Chip Away” brought the show back to its intended frenzy, as all members but Farrell banged out a voodoo curse on three sets of toms. And before the actual end, an encore that included “Words Right Out of My Mouth” and “Ocean Size,” a most aggressive version of “Stop!” again demonstrated the delight of misnomers with its ceaselessness sensory assault.
http://www.courant.com/entertainment/mu ... 6183.story
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Thanks mkdevo! :thumb:

Underground
Mountain Song
Just Because
Been Caught Stealing
Ain't No Right
Ted, Just Admit It...
Twisted Tales
Classic Girl
Jane Says
Chip Away
Irresistible Force
Three Days
Stop!
Encore:
Words Right Out of My Mouth
Ocean Size
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

bumped for archive ordering
janesaddiction.org