2012.03.09 The National, Richmond, VA

Archived tour dates, reviews, and info from the 2012 tour
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 2012.03.09 The National, Richmond, VA

Post by Mike »

"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
justin7894
Black Radio Club

Post by justin7894 »

THEY PLAYED WHORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...instead of Ocean Size!
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

justin7894 wrote:THEY PLAYED WHORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm take it from the size of your text that you were happy to hear Whores! :thumb:
I can't think of another instance right of hand where they've wrapped up a show with it before but just because they've never done it before doesn't mean the can't.

How did it go over with the crowd as a closer?

I found this set list snooping around on twitter.
Does it look right to you?

Underground
Mountain Song
Just Because
Been Caught Stealing
Ain’t No Right
Ted, Just Admit It...
Twisted Tales
I Would for You
Jane Says
Chip Away
End to the Lies
Three Days
Stop

Encore

Words Right Out of My Mouth
Whores

http://lftrfaninfo.blogspot.com/2012/03 ... ional.html
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Godflesh999
Xenon West

Post by Godflesh999 »

Whores??? :shock:
I'm jealous...
Godflesh999
Xenon West

Post by Godflesh999 »

Somebody posted a video on YouTube of the intro, underground and (i think) Mt. song and claims to have shot 50 minutes of the show. Be on the lookout on YouTube...
Hope they got the encore :biggrin:
justin7894
Black Radio Club

Post by justin7894 »

Mike wrote:
justin7894 wrote:THEY PLAYED WHORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm take it from the size of your text that you were happy to hear Whores! :thumb:
I can't think of another instance right of hand where they've wrapped up a show with it before but just because they've never done it before doesn't mean the can't.

How did it go over with the crowd as a closer?

I found this set list snooping around on twitter.
Does it look right to you?

Underground
Mountain Song
Just Because
Been Caught Stealing
Ain’t No Right
Ted, Just Admit It...
Twisted Tales
I Would for You
Jane Says
Chip Away
End to the Lies
Three Days
Stop

Encore

Words Right Out of My Mouth
Whores

http://lftrfaninfo.blogspot.com/2012/03 ... ional.html

That set list is correct. I was extremely happy to here Whores, especially since it was the first play all tour. I do love Ocean Size too though!!
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

justin7894 wrote:That set list is correct. I was extremely happy to here Whores, especially since it was the first play all tour. I do love Ocean Size too though!!
Thanks for confirming the set list Justin.
Glad you enjoyed whores.
I love them whores too! :lol:

I was thinking about them playing this last in the set some more today and while I'm still not 100% certain I really do think this is the first time they've ever ended a show with it. I'd need to look through all the set lists we have and have access to recordings of every show they've ever played to be 100% though. It strikes me as an interesting choice to end a show with. It's an upbeat song and I'm sure that had something to do with it. But after all these years of it being played so early in the set it seems weird to see it there at the bottom.
soybot
Luddite

Post by soybot »

great great show, Whores encore first time played this tour thanks Perry and company!!!
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

I'm sure almost nobody here cares but them playing Whores to end last night's show was still bugging me so I decided to run a search through our known set lists to see if I could find another instance of them finishing a set with it. It turns out I was wrong to assume this show was the first time it happened. I didn't look through the entire database but I started in 1986 and the first known instance of them ending a show with Whores is November 09, 1987 when they opened for Love & Rockets.

http://janesaddiction.org/tour/show/jan ... 11-09/401/

Sometimes being anal retentive about this kind of stuff can drive you nuts. :looloo: :lol:
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Review: Jane's Addiction at The National

By: Hays Davis | Richmond.com
Published: March 12, 2012

Jane’s Addiction took the stage Friday night to an audience that had quickly sold out The National, and both sides of the stage delivered.

After walking on to a segment from Pink Floyd’s "Welcome To The Machine," the band launched into "Underground" from their current release, "The Great Escape Artist." Two women in long hoop skirts swung over the stage as the quartet got the crowd on its feet. But the show officially kicked off with the second song, "Mountain Song," a fan favorite from their 1988 debut album.

As the band played alongside films of women in obvious states of drug-induced paralysis, coupled with the explosive nature of the song, what was billed as the "Theatre of the Escapists" tour seemed more like a theatre of the debauched. With the crowd quickly loosening up, onlookers probably would have concurred. Films were used strategically throughout the show, as with the vintage bondage footage that rolled during "Ted, Just Admit It…" and its "sex is violent" refrain.

A comfy basement vibe was established mid-show, with a large stuffed bear, a lamp and a stage-side drum kit. After singer Perry Farrell gratefully acknowledged the placement of a bottle of moonshine in their dressing room, the band settled in for the acoustic "Jane Says."

The crowd, on its feet from the start of the show, joined in for a sing-along. An interesting take on the early song "Chip Away" followed, with the three musicians setting aside their guitars and pounding on drums while Farrell wailed.

With original bassist Eric Avery having left the group early on (aside from a later touring stint), the band is well past having fans grumble about their lineup. Farrell, guitarist Dave Navarro and drummer Stephen Perkins have been established for years as the mainstays, and this tour’s bassist, Chris Chaney, has also long been accepted as a notable linchpin of their sound over the past decade.

For a band that formed in 1985 and has dealt with its fair share of personality issues over the years, Jane’s Addiction sounded remarkably strong. Some might have mourned the exclusion of early favorites such as "Up The Beach" and "Ocean Size," but the appearance of a shirtless Navarro probably helped some in attendance to overlook such details, and the enthusiasm of an increasingly lubricated Farrell kicked every song up a notch.

It would be easy to simply refer to the openers, Black Box Revelation, as Belgium’s answer to The Black Keys. The guitar/drum duo had moments where they shone as kindred spirits to Akron’s celebrated twosome, but these guys knew better than to come on as just one more blues-based pair. With the power of four players and enough dexterity from guitarist Jan Pasternoster to sound like an imaginative six-string player plus a bassist, they hit hard with their own garage-rock stamp.

A sign at the merchandise booth solicited sleeping arrangements for the duo and their road buddy, and hopefully, their Richmond experience was fulfilling enough to include a few pillows when the night ended.
http://www2.richmond.com/entertainment/ ... r-1759129/