1984.06.16 - Big Weenie, Hollywood, CA - Psi-Com

Perry, Eric, Dave, & Stephen's road to Jane's Addiction
Mike
Addicted Archivist

1984.06.16 - Big Weenie, Hollywood, CA - Psi-Com

Post by Mike »

I think I have this figured out but bear with me while I find the other article I need. In the meantime it looks like this show didn’t happen in 1983 or in 1985. Unless there was a second hotdog stand show?

LA Weekly article dated June 22 -28, 1984
46F769E0-BFE1-4E80-BFE4-545C95585C12.jpeg
74ADAF87-D53A-422B-AFDC-A0D070B05AEE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mike on Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added the correct venue name to the thread title
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1983.0?.?? Oki Dogs, Hollywood, CA - Psi-Com

Post by Mike »

In the first half of that article they say the hotdog stand show took place the day after the Joy at Sea show. The Joy at Sea show took place June 15th 1984. Which means the date for this show would be June 16, 1984. More confirmation forthcoming.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

I’m still not 100% sure what to do with this shows listing. I’m going to need to dig into it a little bit more. It appears there may actually be two hot dog stand shows. :noclue:

This article is an announcement of sorts for the show. The one in my previous post talks about what happened. There are only a few sentences pertaining to this show in both articles together.

LA Weekly article dated June 15-21, 1984
30545C9C-9A33-4E85-BCA2-A9C7CB3DA03E.jpeg
0DC4544D-6C87-4212-8871-A7BB7DC6E476.jpeg
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

All right this is definitely two shows one in the parking lot of a hotdog stand and one on the roof of a hotdog stand with the Minutemen. I’ll fix this cluster fuck later I only have five more days to rape the archive.
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

good detective work
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

1984.06.16 Hotdog Stand Roof, Los Angeles, CA

Post by Mike »

I still can’t believe I was able to figure this out. At least I think I have. From what I can tell from reading the articles above, Psi-Com played on the roof of a hotdog stand in Los Angeles on June 16, 1984. The Minutemen were also supposed to play but the LAPD broke it up before they were able. :yikes:
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1984.06.16 Hotdog Stand Roof, Los Angeles, CA

Post by Mike »

PS with a little research I may be able to nail down which hotdog stand it was. Was it OKi Dog? I don’t know right now.
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

So the venue of the 6/16 show should be "The Big Weenie" or "The Big Weenie Roof"
http://memoriesofhollywood.com/the-hollyweird-enforcer/
Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 8.52.39 PM.png
janesaddiction.org
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

I'm going to say there were 2 hotdog stand shows. There is a big difference between a parking lot and a roof.

It sounds like "the" Oki Dogs was on 7450 Santa Monica blvd
https://rockandrollroadmap.com/places/r ... k-hangout/
That page mentions the large parking lot. The address is three blocks to the south of Hollywood Blvd.
368343996_8b73805d58_o.jpg

Big Weenie was at 1717 Wilcox Ave, *JUST* north of Hollywood Blvd
bigweenie.png
janesaddiction.org
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

This shit hurts my head :lol. There were definitely 2 hotdog stands around, both linked in w/ the music scene via their proximity to it all.

Thanks to the LA Weekly info, we can reasonably establish that Psi Com played on the roof of Big Weenie on June 16, 1984. The Minutemen were supposed to play in the parking lot, but the cops fucked that shit from happening. Watt mentions this show in the book Whores.

Perry has said (multiple times) his first show with Psi Com was at Oki Dogs.

We know that the 6/16/84 show cannot be this "first show" as we've got shows prior to this, and Psi Com (w/ Perry) recorded Worktape 1 in March of 1984.

This indicates that there WAS a second "hot dog stand" show, which by all indications was in a parking lot. This would be Perry's first gig w/ Psi Com, and likely the show where Fishbone met Perry (see quote from Norwood in Whores).

So this brings us back to the late summer / early fall 1983, where this first "hot dog stand" show would have had to have taken place.

Was this show at Oki Dogs? That's what Perry has repeatedly said, but both he and others who have talked about this "first show" have indicated it was off Hollywood Blvd. That is an impossibility with Oki Dogs, as it was located on Santa Monica Blvd., three blocks south of Hollywood Blvd. However, it fits perfectly with Big Weenie, which is on the corner of Wilcox & Hollywood Blvd. It would probably be worth asking some of the people involved. Maybe the fact that Oki Dogs still exists (just not at its original location) skewed memories a bit.

Either that, or there were 3 "hot dog stand" shows :lmao:

That just leaves the original "when" for this show. Rich Evac said PC's first ever show was 8/13/83. This may indeed be true, and that was a pre-Perry show where Margaret Arana was still vying for the vocal gig. :noclue:
janesaddiction.org