1985.10.13 Safari Sam's, Huntington Beach, CA - 1st EVER JA

out of the birth canal
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1985.10.13 Safari Sam's, Huntington Beach, CA - 1st EVER JA

Post by Mike »

Coming up on 35 years and this listing is still the only thing I’ve ever been able to find. :(

Oh well here’s what I think is an upgrade for it anyway.

The listing is taken from The Los Angeles Times dated October 11, 1985
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

This listing is for the first ever Jane's Addiction show.

They were incorrectly billed as "James Addiction" in the ad for this show.
If only that was the worst of it! :coffee:
In an attempt to tell The Los Angeles Times to “hold my beer“ get a load of this listing taken from the LA Weekly dated October 11-17, 1985
8364DD50-3E2B-48E0-BF38-6B389A65B993.jpeg
PS: Dear LA Weekly, if you thought you could hide this listing from me by mispronouncing/misspelling the band’s name you were sorely mistaken. :tiphat:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
RiotNrrrd
Power Tools

Post by RiotNrrrd »

Mike wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:31 pm I've been looking and ran across this list of shows on the Safari Sam's myspace.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... =501409232

Guess who's missing? :lol:

[...]

08/29 - M.I.A, August Purge, Creatures

[...]

09/16 - Man From Missouri

[...]

12/19 - El Grupo Sexo, The Jesus and Mary Chain

[...]

01/18 - Abecedarians, Man From Missouri, Drowning Pool

[...]

07/10 - M.I.A., The Hags, No Crisis
Wow! Never saw this post before. I spent two years in Costa Mesa/Newport Beach and would occasionally go back down for gigs at Safari Sam's if they were people I knew. (Abecedarians, M.I.A., Man From Missouri, Drowning Pool)

I went to all (I think ... ?) of the gigs above. The Jesus And Mary Chain gig was infamous, their first-ever L.A.-area show. It ended in a riot after 20-25 minutes. A bunch of HB and Newport Punks wanted to kill them for going off stage so quickly. Later on they released "Kill Surf City" as a B-side (of "April Skies"). I'm convinced they wrote it about that night. :lol:

The idiot L.A. Times Rock critic Robert Hilburn reviewed it:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

35 year anniversary bump! :)
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

I posted about this show on the Safari Sam’s Facebook page and got a few interesting responses. First off there was a third band on the bill who opened the show and what they were called.

Don Bronze: A band I was in opened. Somewhere I still have JA stickers Perry gave me.

Michael Walters: Don Bronze If you don’t mind me asking what was the name of your band?

Don Bronze: It was The Trashcan Boys. It was a last minute thing.. A friend knew someone at the venue and they let us play. I was barely in HS. Probably 10 people in the entire club. Haha I'll find that sticker.

I thought this was a noteworthy observation on the sound check.

Donald Hofstetter: that was my band on that played with them. Janes actually opened. My jaw was on the floor when I saw their sound check. I had already seen Psi Com so I figured they’d be good.