Jane's Addiction - Live Voodoo

Jane's Addiction news & discussion
Sojourner
Variety Arts Center

Re: Jane's Addiction - Live Voodoo

Post by Sojourner »

^^^ Ahhh, I know about Best Buy and used them a couple of times when I was there last. Pretty awesome store from what I remember with exclusives. Might just hang on a bit incase they release locally. Not sure at this point.

lol, thats a funny story about the dentist domme thing. Yikes, just had a flashback to 'Marathon Man'.
“With a bracing combination of metal, punk, and psychedelica, coupled with lead singer Perry Farrell's banshee-in-a-wind tunnel vocals”...
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

I got mine at Best Buy too Sojourner.

I gave it a second watch today and I'm really impressed with the sound.
It's a very good representation of what I heard at the shows I made it to last year.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Sojourner
Variety Arts Center

Post by Sojourner »

Thats awesome Mike. Are you using 5.1 as well? I' won't be but I'm really curious to hear how that's mixed.

I know what you mean about being the only complete show. That's really fuk'd up when you think about it :confused:
“With a bracing combination of metal, punk, and psychedelica, coupled with lead singer Perry Farrell's banshee-in-a-wind tunnel vocals”...
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

I finally got a chance to pop in my blu-ray. The show is a fucking blast to watch. I tend to prefer DTS audio mixes, and this is no exception as the DTS HD mix feels the fullest with a nice warm and rich bass that isn't there in the Dolby Digital version.

I'm pretty disappointed in the picture quality. There is VERY noticeable video compression, especially in the wide stage shots, when there is fog/smoke on screen, and during fast motion. If this was an HD stream online, it would be fine, but it isn't. Sadly, as HD goes, the picture quality gets a C

Neither 1% or Ocean size is in HD, and both have the crap compressed out of them. Nice extras, but the video quality really leaves you wanting more.

The NME featurette is in HD and looks pretty good - not amazing, but good CableTV quality HD - not as sharp as the concert, but the compression issues are much less evident.

I'm actually curious if the DVD has the same video compression issues as the Blu-Ray?
janesaddiction.org
MissMaceo
Radio Tokyo

Post by MissMaceo »

You should probably buy both the dvd and the itunes release and get to the bottom of the matter.
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

MissMaceo wrote:You should probably buy both the dvd and the itunes release and get to the bottom of the matter.
okay, give me your credit card number :lol:
janesaddiction.org
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

I added scans of the BD onto the Live Voodoo discog page:
http://janesaddiction.org/discography/j ... ve-voodoo/

janesaddiction.org
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

very cool!Thanks helicine!I haven't had a chance to get this yet:(
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Sojourner wrote:Thats awesome Mike. Are you using 5.1 as well? I' won't be but I'm really curious to hear how that's mixed.

I know what you mean about being the only complete show. That's really fuk'd up when you think about it :confused:
Right now I don't have a 5.1 system to watch / listen to it on so I'm watching it on my PC.
My PC has four satellite speakers (2 front & 2 rear) and a giant sub woofer.
I've had friends over that have been pretty impressed by the sound it produces.
Of course when $ allows I'd like to have a nice home theatre system to watch this kind of stuff on.

According to Power DVD I'm listening to the Dolby Digital 2.0 mix.
As I said in my previous post I think it sounds excellent.
At some point this weekend I'm planning to head over to a friend's house who has a really nice set-up.
I can't wait to see / hear it on his system.

I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "the only complete show"?
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Mike wrote:I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "the only complete show"?
I think he means the only complete JA concert officially released on video
janesaddiction.org