Radio Tokyo

Post by ESFOS »

ESFOS
Radio Tokyo

Post by ESFOS »

Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

phenobarb_bambalam contacted me earlier this week and asked if I'd like some reports / pics from this show.

I'm sure you can guess my answer.

So here are the first pics courtesy of phenobarb_bambalam. :)

I want one of each of those shirts!
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
ESFOS
Radio Tokyo

Post by ESFOS »

I'll be picking up a couple - I have one old black T that is totally shot. I buy shirts now and throw them in a display case I have for other momentos and shit in the home office.
Mudget
Xenon West

Post by Mudget »

This is the NIN setlist. Apparently the encore got cut off when someone pulled the plug on the PA.

From Trent: "I apologize for the asshole responsible fir shutting off the PA during our encore and ruining the show"

01. Home
02. Last
03. March of the Pigs
04. Somewhat Damaged
05. Metal
06. Piggy
07. Heresy
08. The Becoming
09. I'm Afraid of Americans
10. Mr. Self Destruct
11. Burn
12. The Fragile
13. Right Where it Belongs
14. The Way is Out Through
15. Wish
16. Survivalism
17. Hurt
18. The Hand that Feeds
19. Head Like a Hole
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Setlist so far:

Three Days
Whores
Ain't No Right
Pig's In Zen
Then She Did
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mudget
Xenon West

Post by Mudget »

01. Three Days
02. Whores
03. Ain't No Right
04. Pigs In Zen
05. Then She Did...
06. 1%
07. Been Caught Stealing
08. Ted, Just Admit It...
09. Mountain Song
10. Ocean Size
Encore:
11. Up The Beach
12. Stop!
13. Jane Says
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

phenobarb_bambalam
Power Tools

Post by phenobarb_bambalam »

This is essentially a cross post of what I've posted across the way, so it may well be repetition, but the hour is late an I am not sure how many words I can sensibly string together.

They played for a shade over 70 minutes. Despite concerns over how fans with different priorities may mix, there seemed to be no issues with that from where I was.

People were going nuts for both bands....all the way back to the rear of the lawn (which was packed). There was mass support for JA until the end, and much applause. I was pleasantly surprised - I used to live here and often felt aggrieved at how poorly shows would sell..how lukewarm crowd responses would be. That wasn't the case tonight. At all.

Ticket prices? No complaints from me. Yes, they were expensive, but the GA/pit area was very small indeed and there was plenty of space for everyone. There was no cramming, and whilst some may want to get into it in the pit, I was perfectly happy not to feel a single elbow or kick as I stood front and centre. $100 for what was in effect a VIP area...thank you, NINJA. That may vary for other concerts, but it was a golden ticket tonight.

The show? I wouldn't say it was religious, but they delivered.

Three Days definitely didn't work for me as an opener. It is the Holy Grail as far as I am concerned, and by far my favourite live song, but it needs to be worked up to. I'm sad to say, it was wasted on me. They actually fucked it up at the beginning and were shaky much of the way through it, but quite simply....it needs foreplay. You don't go straight there.

Then She Did and 1% were sublime, and that actually helped carry the momentum through BCS and into Ted. Ted's never been a favourite of mine and fits into a the second tier of JA songs (out of three) - but tonight, as with Echoplex, it was the highlight. Perry manages to drop the karaoke and it makes a world of difference - there is a sense of darkness there which gives it an edge and makes it seems genuine where others songs feel like he's just playing the part.

As for the four of them, they all did what you'd expect them to. Perk is flawless. Dave is Dave. EA, the eternal shark - menacing and in the zone, but once in a while he'd break into a smile. Perry...well...we all know how that goes. The gold lamé leisure suit....cringe-worthy patter, and fading vocal ability....but despite that, it works. No, he's not the same performer he was 10 or 20 years ago, but he still have something to offer.

For me, the lack of gigs showed a little bit - I wondered whether taking on a tour like this after only four shows would show signs of rust and I think it does. They were tight, but they're just not the well-oiled machine they will be a few weeks down the line. There were a few new twists to some of the songs, and those worked well. I look forward to seeing them get into their groove.

Mike - thanks for posting the photos.