2009.05.18 Pearl Concert Theater, Las Vegas, NV

Archived tour dates, reviews, and info
Mudget
Xenon West

Post by Mudget »

Here was the Nails set, for those who care. There were no new songs to the tour from either band tonight.

01. Somewhat Damaged
02. Terrible Lie
03. Heresy
04. March of the Pigs
05. The Frail
06. Piggy
07. Metal
08. The Big Come Down
09. Gave Up
10. The Fragile
11. I Do Not Want This
12. The Downward Spiral
13. Wish
14. Survivalism
15. The Day The World Went Away
16. Physical
17. The Hand That Feeds
18. Head Like a Hole
19. Hurt
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Thanks for keeping up with the NIN setlists Mudget.
I haven't seen them in years and I'm looking forward to checking them out.

I just had a quick look though my ticket stubs and WOW has it been years.
The last time I saw them was August 29, 1994! :shock:

I was at a buddies house last month and while trying to talk him into hitting a couple of the NINJA shows with me we went on a little trip down memory lane.
He swears up and down that we saw NIN before they had gained any notoriety.
I don't remember it but I was pretty fucked up most of time back in the late '80s, early '90s.
Anyway he says it was at the Phantasy Theatre in Lakewood, Ohio and that there were less than 50 people there the bunch of us included.

I saw Jane's at the same venue in March of '89.
It used to be a great place to see shows.
I only wish I could remember more of them. :lol:

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing NIN.
I really used to love them but have lost track of Trent's endeavors over the past decade or so.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Jane’s Addiction, NIN rock Las Vegas

Melissa Arseniuk, Las Vegas Sun, May 19, 2009

Bands roll through the Pearl at the Palms

International success can make musicians lose perspective, take themselves too seriously and let their egos get the best of them.

Jane’s Addiction is not one of these bands.

The recently-reunited group returned to Las Vegas Monday night and made it clear that after all these years, after all the break-ups and breaks and squabbles and struggles, Perry Farrell still has that youthful spirit, a passion for performing, and is out to have fun.

The charismatic and eccentric frontman celebrated his 50th birthday last month with a reunion concert-slash-50th-birthday-party at the Mirage.

The April 11 show was the first time Jane’s Addiction had played together in more than a decade but Farrell and his bandmates have since taken their show on the road.

And Monday night, that show rolled through the Pearl at the Palms.

The concert featured an impressive (and, some would argue, curious) opening act: Trent Reznor and the current Nine Inch Nails.

Former Rage Against the Machine guitarist Tom Morello’s new project, Street Sweeper Social Club, is also on the tour but was not on the bill for Monday night’s gig.

In the absence of Morello’s new group, Reznor opened the show with a blast of fog, sound and light.

After a handful of songs past and present, he turned it up to 11 and showed the crowd once more that he still has what it takes.

Halfway through his set, he indicated that the show at the Pearl could be his last in Las Vegas.

“This is our last tour,” he said.

(Note: He may have said, “This is our last tour for a while,” – his words were unclear and the crowd made it hard to know for sure – but the collection of people I was with heard no “for a while” or anything along those lines, unfortunately.)

After 90 minutes of solid performing, the band took a brief break before returning for a short encore.

While they worked through a range of songs from the NIN retrospective, two very conspicuous omissions were left unsung: “Closer” and “The Perfect Drug.”

(Jane’s Addiction also let out one of their oldie-but-goodies, giving “Under the Tahitian Moon” a no-go.)

Reznor did, however, include a range of other hits in his set list, including “The Hand That Feeds” and ”Hurt” (which Johnny Cash covered in 2002 on an album Reznor produced, the year before he died).

Once Reznor left the stage, the crew set about tearing his stage – which entailed just moving and packing equipment, really; the stage set-up was more fog and lights than anything else – and erecting a new one for Farrell and the boys.

When Jane’s Addiction took to the stage at 10:30 p.m. Farrell proved once again that while he may be 50, he still knows how to – and loves to – party.

While many fans questioned why it was Nine Inch Nails who opened for Jane’s Addiction and not the other way around, the final performance of the night answered the question with a resounding “because while NIN rocks hard, Jane’s kicks ass, too, and puts on one heck of an entertaining show while they do it.”

Farrell danced back and forth across the stage, showcasing his distinct brand of choreography as he went along.

His enthusiasm emanated from the stage and was contagious.

Two songs into the set, guitarist Dave Navarro shed his shirt to reveal his tattooed and pierced torso, much to the delight of his female fans in the front row.

Later, when one of Farrell’s adoring (and chesty) female fans tossed her bra onstage, he jokingly examined it, twirled it, and held it up against his chest.

Then he tossed it back into the crowd and told the D-cup diva to “Fill these up with wine and bring 'em back to me,” and playfully skipped back toward the drum kit.

Again: While he knows how to put on a good show, he knows how to have fun while he does it.

The frontman’s antics were noticeably more sexual this time around, too, perhaps due to the absence of his wife, Etty Lau-Farrell.

At one point, he observed, “Even in a soulless desert we can find love together.”

Shirtless and wearing sparkly silver pants, the singer was a human disco ball from the waist down.

The band made their way through an hour’s worth of songs before taking a short break for yet another ubiquitous pre-planned encore.

Between follow-up songs, Navarro at one point walked off stage right to embrace a woman who was waiting in the wings, light himself a cigarette and grab his hat. Say what you will about him, but he knows how to multitask.

Not long after, kilt-clad percussionist Stephen Perkins broke out the steel and bongo drums for the final song of the night: a fun rendition of the band’s first single, “Jane Says.”

After the song came to a close, the bandmates took their bows and left the stage. Where they went from there is anyone’s guess, but if Perry Farrell was there, chances are it was fun.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/ma ... las-vegas/

Pics:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/photos/galle ... nch_nails/
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

A foggy night in Vegas: Nine Inch Nails and Jane’s Addiction at the Pearl

By Spencer Patterson

In December, Nine Inch Nails hauled a mammoth, interactive LED array to Las Vegas. On Monday, the band brought … fog. Tons of it. So much, in fact, that it set off a smoke detector inside the Pearl 30 minutes before show time, causing the house lights to come up, pre-concert music to halt and a recorded warning to begin repeating.

No matter. Once the stage crew resolved the issue and Trent Reznor & Co. took the stage around 8:30, the fog machine returned right to action, expelling thick billows of the stuff throughout the venue. This time, no interruption, however.

The fog paired with intense strobe lighting to create a supernatural atmosphere for much of the 90-minute set. Was it as unforgettable as NIN’s last live experience? Come on, how could it be? But the stripped-down surroundings were pretty darn cool in their own right.

A few other thoughts …

* Nine Inch Nails didn’t play “Closer.” My buddy sitting to my left had seen them seven times previously, and was sure he’d heard that song (you know, the one that goes, “I wanna fuck you like an animal/I wanna feel you from the inside”) seven times live. So that was odd. But hey, props to the band for not feeling beholden to any one tune. Then again, the set did end with “Head Like a Hole” and “Hurt,” so it’s not like they threw all their hits out the window.

* At December’s Planet Hollywood show, Reznor hinted that the band might call it quits soon. Monday night, he seemed to confirm it. “This is our last tour,” he said toward the end. “I appreciate you sticking around over the years.”

* “Headlining” Jane’s Addiction (reunited “classic” lineup: Perry Farrell, Dave Navarro, Eric Avery and Stephen Perkins) had a tough enough act to follow coming on after Nine Inch Nails; a noticeable portion of the sold-out crowd didn’t bother to return after the break. Opening with a super-extended version of “Three Days” that included lengthy guitar and drum solos was hardly the best way to win over those who remained present—particularly since, without an instrument in hand, frontman Perry Farrell (no shirt, silver-sequined stretch pants) had little to do for much of the 15-minute jam, besides performing exaggerated robot dance moves. The remaining hour or so was far better. Highlights: “Then She Did,” “Mountain Song,” “Oceansize.”

* It’s tough for the final song to come as a surprise when steel drums get rolled onstage for it. Not that I’ll ever complain about hearing “Jane Says.” Few better rock songs to have in your head while searching for the car.
http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/blogs/off ... es-addict/
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Nine Inch Nails eager to rock Las Vegas fans

Jane’s Addiction holds its own - then some - against NIN

By Michael Mishak (contact)

Tue, May 19, 2009 (1:20 p.m.)

At first blush, the headliner on Monday night's double bill seemed obvious: Nine Inch Nails.

So when I saw Trent Reznor and Co. open a sort of Lollapalooza Redux at the Pearl I was worried -- for Jane's Addiction.

Stripped down to a four piece and backed by an epilepsy-inducing light show, Nine Inch Nails quickly tore through early favorite "Terrible Lie."

Reznor chucked his guitar aside before chasing with a blistering version of "Heresy" and then charging through live staple "March of the Pigs," a highlight from the classic "Downward Spiral" that sounded as fresh and as brutal as it did when it was recorded 15 years ago.

A short turn at the piano and then Reznor was back to business, playing a guitar-laden "Piggy," utterly stripped of its slow jazz roil, as if to make clear that there would be no breathers here.

In fact, Nine Inch Nails, on what Reznor says is its final tour, was eager to please, playing their oldest, best and hardest material over the course of a 90-minute set that actually improved on its virtuoso performance in Las Vegas last year.

As Reznor put it, fans got a heavy does of the "ugly" songs, giving the crowd what it really craved: "Head Like A Hole" and "Hurt" one last time.

The real shocker though was how quickly the reformed Jane's Addiction stole the show, wiping Nine Inch Nails' set from my mind. Frontman Perry Farrell did his best Iggy Pop, dressed in glitter pants and gloves and grinding on the monitors. The only thing missing was the peanut butter.

The rest of the band -- and bassist Eric Avery in particular -- delivered nothing less than revelation. Dave Navarro's soaring guitar work last night made you forgive him for that short stint in the Red Hot Chili Peppers and that dreadful solo record. The set was heavy on the 1988 classic "Nothing's Shocking," complete with "Mountain Song" and "Ted Just Admit It," and Jane's sounded tighter than ever.

Farrell turned 50 this year, but you wouldn't know it. "Even in a soulless desert we can find love together," he declared.

The set, capped with the classic "Jane Says," reminded us all of why we fell in love with Jane's Addiction in the first place -- and the legions of alternative bands that followed in their wake.

Pure and simple, it was great rock and roll that just wouldn't quit. Oh, and there were mesh shirts, black fingernails and eyeliner in there somewhere.

So message (and apologies) to Nine Inch Nails: You were upstaged.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/ma ... egas-fans/
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

An evening with Mr. Farrell and the magical, mirrored pants

By Melissa Arseniuk

International success can make musicians lose perspective, take themselves too seriously and let their egos get the best of them.

Jane’s Addiction is not one of these bands.

The recently-reunited group returned to Las Vegas last night and made it clear that after all these years, after all the break-ups and breaks and squabbles and struggles, Perry Farrell still has that youthful spirit, a passion for performing and is out to have fun.

The charismatic and eccentric frontman celebrated his 50th birthday last month with a reunion concert-slash-50th-birthday-party at the Mirage.

That April 11th show was the first time Jane’s Addiction had played together in over a decade, but Farrell and his bandmates have since taken their show on the road. Last night, that show rolled through the Pearl at the Palms.

The concert featured an impressive (and, some would argue, curious) opening act: Trent Reznor and the current Nine Inch Nails.

Former Rage Against the Machine guitarist Tom Morello’s new project, Street Sweeper Social Club, is also on the tour but was not on the bill for last night’s gig.

In the absence of Morello’s new group, Reznor opened the show with a blast of fog, sound and light.

After a handful of songs past and present, he turned it up to 11 and showed the crowd once more that he still has what it takes.

Halfway through his set, he indicated that the show at the Pearl could be his last in Las Vegas.

“This is our last tour,” he said.

(Note: He may have said, “This is our last tour for a while,” – his words were unclear – but the collection of people I was with heard no “for a while” or anything along those lines, unfortunately.)

After 90 minutes of solid performing, the band took a brief break before returning for a short encore.

While they worked through a range of songs from the NIN retrospective, two very conspicuous omissions were left unsung: “Closer” and “The Perfect Drug.”

Reznor did, however, include a range of other hits in his set list, including “The Hand That Feeds” and ”Hurt,” which Johnny Cash covered in 2002 on an album Reznor produced, the year before he died.

When Jane’s Addiction took to the stage at 10:30 p.m. Farrell proved once again that while he may be half a century old, he still knows how to – and loves to – party.

While many fans questioned why it was Nine Inch Nails who opened for Jane’s Addiction and not the other way around, the final performance of the night answered the question with a resounding “because while NIN rocks hard, Jane’s kicks ass, too, and puts on one heck of an entertaining show while they do it.”

Farrell danced back and forth across the stage, showcasing his distinct brand of choreography as he went along. His enthusiasm emanated from the stage and was contagious.

Two songs into the set, guitarist Dave Navarro shed his shirt to reveal his tattooed and pierced torso, much to the delight of his female fans in the front row.

Later, when one of Farrell’s adoring (and chesty) female fans tossed her bra onstage, he jokingly examined it, twirled it, and held it up against his chest.

Then he tossed it back into the crowd and told the D-cup diva to “Fill these up with wine and bring 'em back to me,” and playfully skipped back toward the drum kit.

The frontman’s antics were noticeably more sexual this time around, too, perhaps due to the absence of his wife, Etty Lau-Farrell.

Farrell took the liberty of his liberty to tell the audience about the homoerotic dream he had the night before, wherein a curly-haired man gave him oral satisfaction; emphatically and repeatedly humping (and spanking) one of the stage monitors; and he joked about guitarist Navarro’s proudest, not-so-private private part.

At one point, he observed, “Even in a soulless desert we can find love together.”

Shirtless and wearing sparkly silver pants, the singer was a human disco ball from the waist down.

The classic pick-up line, “Do you have a mirror in your pocket? Because I can see myself in your pants…” could not have been more appropriate.

The band made their way through an hour’s worth of songs before taking a short break for yet another ubiquitous pre-planned encore.

Between follow-up songs, Navarro at one point walked off stage right to embrace a woman who was waiting in the wings, light himself a cigarette and grab his hat. Say what you will about him, but he knows how to multitask.

Not long after, kilt-clad percussionist Stephen Perkins broke out the steel and bongo drums for the final song of the night: a fun rendition of the band’s first single, “Jane Says.”

After the song came to a close, the bandmates took their bows and left the stage. Where they went from there I’m not sure, but if Farrell was there, chances are it was fun.
http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/blogs/off ... red-pants/
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Taken from photo set posted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessicasar ... 467704482/
Warped
Be Live

Post by Warped »

Just a quick thanks for the good work here, i usually post on xiola but i am always taking a look here. :Brabo:
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Warped wrote:Just a quick thanks for the good work here, i usually post on xiola but i am always taking a look here. :Brabo:
Thanks Warped and please stop by anytime. :Brabo:
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell