2010.05.05 Bardot, Hollywood, CA

Archived tour dates, reviews, and info
hydro
Addict

Re: Jane's Addiction - May 5, 2010

Post by hydro »

Jane's Addiction Play Intimate Surprise Show
By Liam Gowing on May 6, 2010 10:40 AM

"Even in this tiny little room," said Perry Farrell to the 150 or so folks sharing the confines of Hollywood club Bardot, "I can feel an oceanful of love."

It might have been a convenient way for the Jane's Addiction frontman to lead the band — appearing for the first time with GN'R alum Duff McKagan on bass — into its confetti-laden final number, "Ocean Size." But it also summed up the appreciative mood of the audience around him.
For diehard fans, some of whom had been waiting since 10 a.m. for a wristband to the surprise show (announced two days before on the band's website) this was heaven: A chance to see the alternative rock gods play a room no bigger than a volleyball court.

Hitting the stage with an exultant "Happy Cinco de Mayo! Ay yi yi yi!" Farrell set the celebratory tone. With a bottle of wine in his hand, a huge smile, and uniquely bedazzled Converse high-tops, he cranked up the volume with an explosive take on Ritual de lo Obitual's opener "Stop!" — complete with Dave Navarro's switchblade-attack guitars, Stephen Perkins' ultra-dynamic drumming, and McKagan's Avery-esque bass-playing.

"Ay yi yi yi!" Farrell called out again after the song ended. "Dave Navarro told me that means ‘fuck yeah' in Spanish."

A fan appreciation show and a chance to test the waters with McKagan on bass, the set came off like a Jane's Addiction party with a few close friends.

"We want to wish a quick happy birthday to our girl Susan Holmes," Farrell said after completing a ferocious take on "Had a Dad" from 1988's Nothing's Shocking. And with that, he presented the former supermodel — Duff McKagan's wife — with a birthday cake before leading the crowd in a heartfelt recital of "Happy Birthday."

Then it was back to business — completing a short but sweet eight-song set of classic Jane's tracks with only one tune that was newer than two decades old: An unreleased midtempo track called "Soulmate."

"I tell you what man," Farrell said wistfully after a particularly transcendent romp through "Pigs in Zen," another of the four tracks plucked from Nothing's Shocking. "There's nothing like going to see a live music event in L.A."

He meant it as a tribute to the VIP guests in the audience — including Rage Against the Machine guitarist Tom Morello and ex-Fishbone Keyboardist Chris Dowd -- to whom he gave shout-outs afterward.

But to the mesmerized crowd gathered at his feet, it had a whole different meaning.

SETLIST:
1. Stop!
2. Mountain Song
3. Had a Dad
4. Soulmate
5. Whores
6. Pigs in Zen
7. Ain't No Right
8. Ocean Size
photos by Kristin Burns

http://spin.com/articles/janes-addictio ... prise-show
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
spunkmuffin
Ripple Street

Post by spunkmuffin »

Handsome Mike wrote:
spunkmuffin wrote:Hope someone tapes it........I wanna hear and see it :nod:
Mission accomplished and it sounds great on these tiny speakers! :yeay: :wootwoot: :coffee:
Yes it is...so glad everyone took the time to think of others that couldnt be there :) very kind ....Perry's voice sounds yummy...seems like he's getting his upper register together...Kinda hard to tell on my laptop..but the band sounds tight..Im guessing they got stronger with each song :heart: ...Im jealous of everyone who made it ;) ...You lucky kooky krazy kidz :biggrin: :heart:
intertwoven
Jedi

Post by intertwoven »

Handsome Mike wrote:I'll post a lot more about it once I get back to the hotel tonight but I'm off to do some research.
Right on. I'm probably more excited about the prospect of you digging up some new info on old Jane's shows in the LA library than I am about this show, to be honest. :lol:
mothra665
Räji's

Post by mothra665 »

OMG :!:
speechless [well, off the top of my head...let me ramble] :lol:

what an atmosphere that place seemed to have, a night not soon to be forgotten [E&M]
:arrow: glad some peps from here got to experience that event!
the new track is going in the right direction, felt a lil' groove in it, keep it going and get something out :heart:
would LOVE to hear the other one rehearsed [hint, hint] ;)
...whole lotta love [across the universe], god speed boys [E&M, have a safe trip back]

IMO, this could work :nod:
"Whaddya doing cheering a guy over 30? Cuz I can still rock yer pants off yer fuckin' ass, and I'll do it 'till the day I die!"
Perry Farrell 07/20/1991
nexis
One West

Post by nexis »

I wish I could've been there I like this type of venue the most. The new song sounds awesome and Perry's stage presence is beaming like the sun. I'm going to have to start saving up for a plane ticket if they continue to do more clubs in CA.
vikkivale
L.A. Woman

Post by vikkivale »

www.lawomanphotography.com
ESFOS
Radio Tokyo

Post by ESFOS »

Sounds like it was a blast. NYC eagerly awaits...
vikkivale
L.A. Woman

Post by vikkivale »

www.lawomanphotography.com
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

JANE'S ADDICTION PLAY FIRST SHOW WITH DUFF MCKAGAN AND DEBUT NEW SONG
DATE: MAY 6, 2010

Surrounded by piñatas, sombreros and green, white and red flags in celebration of Cinco de Mayo, JANE’S ADDICTION threw quite a fiesta last night at the intimate Bardot in Hollywood where 150 or so fans and friends squeezed together to experience the very first show by lead singer Perry Farrell, guitarist Dave Navarro and drummer Stephen Perkins with new member, bassist Duff McKagan.

The band roared through a seven-song set that marked the debut of a new song, “Soulmate,” mixed in with the band’s epic scorchers “Stop,” “Mountain Song,” “Had a Dad,” “Whores,” “Ain’t No Right” and “Ocean Size.”

Cheering the band on were actors Joaquin Phoenix and Danny and Chris Masterson, as well as pro-skater Danny Way, along with musician friends Tom Morello, Matt Sorum, Gilby Clarke and Fishbone's Chris Dowd. If it weren’t for the fact that they performed in an open air patio, JANE’S ADDICTION would have blown the roof of the club. The not-so-secret show was announced a few days before at http://www.janesaddiction.org with a Mexican-themed poster (see above) and lucky fans were wrist-banded for the event.

Writing at Rollingstone.com (5/6/10), Steve Appleford said: “Onstage with Jane's in 2010, McKagan set a thick, watery bassline against Navarro's speedy solo on ‘Whores’ (from 1987), and it sounded like a collaboration built to last.” Steve Baltin at AOL’s Spinner.com (5/6/10) noted: “Musically, McKagan, who is an old friend of the band and came from the same L.A. scene, slid in to the foursome as smoothly as 'Soulmate' made its way into the set last night.” Liam Gowing at Spin.com (5/6/10) added the evening was “…a chance to see the alternative rock gods play a room no bigger than a volleyball court” and took note of the “mesmerized crowd.”

JANE’S ADDICTION is now continuing to write for their next album, tentatively due out in the winter of 2011 on Capitol and to be supported by a worldwide concert tour.

For more information, please contact:

Mitch Schneider: mschneider@msopr.com
Alexandra Greenberg: agreenberg@msopr.com
Sarah Luery: sluery@msopr.com

http://www.msopr.com/?q=node/5499
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

The not-so-secret show was announced a few days before at http://www.janesaddiction.org with a Mexican-themed poster (see above) and lucky fans were wrist-banded for the event.
:nod: we posted it a few hours before Dave did :lol: at least someone noticed :lmao:
janesaddiction.org