2010.05.06 Guitar Center, Hollywood, CA

Archived tour dates, reviews, and info
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: Jane's Addiction Coming In 3D To A TV Near You Soon

Post by Mike »

helicine wrote:There is a non-free workaround:

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/06/20/how-t ... output-3d/
OK so it can be tricked into thinking you've got a 3DTV so you can acquire the signal.
That's good to know because I don't have a fancy TV or cable and I want to see this.
I guess if I pick up that little cheater and take it over a friends and hook it up I'll be set.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Handsome Mike wrote:
helicine wrote:There is a non-free workaround:

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/06/20/how-t ... output-3d/
OK so it can be tricked into thinking you've got a 3DTV so you can acquire the signal.
That's good to know because I don't have a fancy TV or cable and I want to see this.
I guess if I pick up that little cheater and take it over a friends and hook it up I'll be set.
you'd still have to have an HDTV as the connection is still over HDMI
janesaddiction.org
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

and of course even if you get that thing, you still have to find a compatible 3DTV to connect it to so it can be programmed correctly.
janesaddiction.org
tvrec
L.A. Street Scene

Post by tvrec »

This is silly. Right now 3D sets are astronomical in price and so many people have been upgrading since the digital transition to LCD/LED and Plasma sets, I can't see that many people turning around to upgrade anytime soon, especially since most programing will not be 3D.

I've had DirecTV for about ten years now and although the service is good, they keep making bone-headed moves like this...
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

tvrec wrote:This is silly. Right now 3D sets are astronomical in price and so many people have been upgrading since the digital transition to LCD/LED and Plasma sets, I can't see that many people turning around to upgrade anytime soon, especially since most programing will not be 3D.

I've had DirecTV for about ten years now and although the service is good, they keep making bone-headed moves like this...
I have to agree with you.
I'm still using an old TV with rabbit ears and a converter box.
I really don't see a lot of folks willing to pony up more $ when they just upgraded to digital TV.
I guess this is cutting edge progress of sorts and it is cool that Jane's are on the cusp of it.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
LizardWiz
Radio Tokyo

Post by LizardWiz »

Dunno. There is no standard for any of this 3d tv viewing technology. There are many methods of doing it. If they plan to roll it out wide scale they will inevitably use the following format most likely as nobody in their right mind would be dumb enough to buy a hugely expensive 3d tv with no standards for transmission set:

-Active Stereoscopic 3D glasses.
These are like the new style 3d glasses in movie theatres except that movie theatres use passive stereoscopic 3d. The difference being that passive, the glasses cost about .10 cents a piece, whereas active are more like $50. The way they work are that each lense is polarized in an opposite direction. A passive system relies upon the projector to have an alternating polarization filter for each frame that it sends, an active system relies upon the glasses being sent a signal (or alternative with screen refresh rate) to switch viewing from the left to right lense (i.e. turn them off or on).

-Lower resolution.
Because two distinct images are being sent over the same 1080p resolution, your resolution effectively becomes cut in half.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Looks like the Jane's Guitar Center Sessions will be airing this month!
Panasonic, DirecTV Launch a Trio of 3D Channels

By: Wendy Sheehan Donnell

NEW YORK CITY—Hoping to nudge 3D television closer to the mainstream, DirecTV on Thursday launched three 3D channels including n3D, a new Panasonic-sponsored channel offering subscribers exclusive, original 3D programming from a number of top content providers.

N3D will offer content from CBS, Fox Sports, HDNet, MTV, NBC Universal, and Turner Broadcasting System, among others.

"3D TV takes a giant step forward today," Shiro Kitajama, president of Panasonic Consumer Electronics, said at a press conference.

In addition to the free n3D channel, pay-per-view and on-demand channels were switched on and will provide 24/7 access to 3D programming; all three channels are currently live. Currently, DirecTV Cinema, the PPV channel, is offering IMAX titles including Deep Sea 3D and Under the Sea 3D, while n3D On Demand is running replays of ESPN 3D's 2010 FIFA World Cup games. (DirecTV, Comcast, and AT&T U-verse launched ESPN 3D last month.)

In July, n3D will air Guitar Center Sessions with Peter Gabriel and Jane's Addiction, Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia, Wild Safari: A South African Adventure and S.O.S Planet, African Adventure: Safari in the Okavango and Encounter in the Third Dimension. The channel will also broadcast the NASCAR Coke Zero 400 race, the local broadcast of the Yankees-Mariners series on July 10-11 and the national broadcast of FOX Sports 2010 MLB All-Star Game on July 13.

Making more 3D content available is a step in the right direction, but it still remains to be seen whether 3D TV will become ubiquitous. Currently, only a small selection 3D Blu-ray titles are available; the majority of them are animated, and outside of DirecTV's offerings, broadcast 3D content is virtually non-existent. Additional 3D programming ventures are in the works, however: Sony has announced a January, 2011 launch date for its 24/7 3D channel with Discovery and IMAX.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2365941,00.asp
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

LizardWiz wrote:Dunno. There is no standard for any of this 3d tv viewing technology. There are many methods of doing it. If they plan to roll it out wide scale they will inevitably use the following format most likely as nobody in their right mind would be dumb enough to buy a hugely expensive 3d tv with no standards for transmission set:

-Active Stereoscopic 3D glasses.
These are like the new style 3d glasses in movie theatres except that movie theatres use passive stereoscopic 3d. The difference being that passive, the glasses cost about .10 cents a piece, whereas active are more like $50. The way they work are that each lense is polarized in an opposite direction. A passive system relies upon the projector to have an alternating polarization filter for each frame that it sends, an active system relies upon the glasses being sent a signal (or alternative with screen refresh rate) to switch viewing from the left to right lense (i.e. turn them off or on).

-Lower resolution.
Because two distinct images are being sent over the same 1080p resolution, your resolution effectively becomes cut in half.
Interesting stuff LW.
I like the 3D technology but I know very little about it and appreciate the info.

When we watched the playback at Guitar Center it wasn't that coming at you type stuff like from Avatar.
I dunno if this is the right way to explain it but the guys looked more "real".
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

News Digest
DIRECTV Launches Three 3D Channels
TVPredictions.com

Washington, D.C. (July 1, 2010) -- DIRECTV and Panasonic announced today that the satcaster has launched three 3D channels, including a 24-hour channel called N3D.

The N3D channel, which will be sponsored by Panasonic, is now available at no additional cost to DIRECTV HD customers on channel 103. (However, to watch 3D programming, DIRECTV viewers will need a 3D TV and 3D goggles.)

Throughout the month of July, N3D customers will have access to 3D programming such as Guitar Center Sessions with Peter Gabriel and Jane's Addiction, Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia, Wild Safari: A South African Adventure and N Wave Picture's S.O.S Planet.

N3D will also offer special events such as this weekend's NASCAR Coke Zero 400, the local broadcast of the Yankees-Mariners series on July 10-11 and DIRECTV's exclusive, national broadcast of FOX Sports 2010 MLB All-Star Game in 3D on July 13.

DIRECTV is also launching DIRECTV Cinema in 3D on channel 104, which is now showing IMAX titles Deep Sea 3D and Under the Sea 3D and n3D On Demand on channel 105, which is currently delivering replays of ESPN's 3D coverage of the 2010 FIFA World Cup matches.

DIRECTV also launched ESPN 3D on channel 106 on June 11.
http://www.tvpredictions.com/mored3d070110.htm

I don't think we can really complain to much when you read the part up there that says "no additional cost".
I'm definitely going to find a way to check this out and record it this month.
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

It truly is a mess, and it is a rich man's game. First you have to drop a good $3k or more on a decent set - it is probably a safe assumption that the majority of those who are early adopters for 3D also have home theater setups. So that's another +$1k for a 3D passthrough receiver. Don't forget the extra glasses for all your friends, those run around $100 or so each. If you want 3D blu-ray, you might need to buy another player.

It's a good thing they're not charging for what little 3D content is available since simply the cost to participate is so freaking high!

Dave briefly mentioned the novelty-ness of this thing. I truly home 3D is a passing fad, but it seems to have a lot of industry support. :banghead:
janesaddiction.org