6/07/07 - Cardiff Arena, Cardiff, Wales

Archived Perry & Satellite Party tour dates, reviews, and info
Mike
Addicted Archivist

6/07/07 - Cardiff Arena, Cardiff, Wales

Post by Mike »

I found a awesome set of pics from this gig on flickr! :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/missionpho ... 329635721/
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
ThreeMan
Black Radio Club

Post by ThreeMan »

Cool pics! Nuno's gear got left behind in NYC and he had to scramble to get equipment for this show and had to use the lesser N2 Washburn guitar instead of his N4.
AdmitI
Power Tools

Satellite Party and Velvet Revolver @ CIA Cardiff Show

Post by AdmitI »

Quick review of last night's show ... my turn to drive so a mad rush
straight from work but we got free parking in Cardiff, [God bless the
planners]. Got to the CIA as the first support band came on and they
were SH*T, I mean really sh*t; don't know what they were called, don't
wanna know, I only know that they were really sh*t. However ... when
my mate told me earlier that Satellite Party were support I nearly
creamed, and they didn't disappoint. A low-key entrance led into a
superlative performance from a top group, with two Jane's songs
including 'The Mountain Song' in the set, ['Been Caught Stealing' was
probably to much to wish for].

Perry Farrell was on top form, this man is a REAL STAR, gold lame
suit, a camp swagger, [and I can't really print his between-song
banter], plus he had TWO stonkers in the group ... ommigod, the tight
denim shorts on the bird playing keyboards were too much for a grown
man. On the musical side the songs from the SP album were amazing and
the band had a real vigour - this really was top notch stuff, it was
just a shame that many of the audience didn't have a clue who they
were ... still, those of us who knew were treated to something really
special, A+++++++++++++

http://groups.google.com/group/classic- ... 75ec449fc9
http://www.myspace.com/thesolutionists
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Review: Velvet Revolver, Satellite Party
Jun 12 2007
David Raybould, Western Mail

Cardiff International Arena

Well, what can you say about Perry Farrell? I'll start by saying that his new project Satellite Party were supporting Velvet Revolver in Cardiff and for those who are unaware Perry is ex-lead vocalist with late 80's heroin ravaged alternative glam rockers Jane's Addiction.

For this support slot he was sporting a very flamboyant gold Elvis-like jump suit and a permanent bottle of wine in hand. He's a born rock star, the kind you don't see anymore. The sort of star that people are entranced by and scared of at the same time.

Without wishing to sound negative Satellite Party's music was basically Jane's Addiction without the bite. They moved effortlessly from song to song with Perry's soaring voice bringing back glorious memories, especially when they dipped into the Jane's Addiction back catalogue.

"Stop" and "Ocean Size" were simply awesome, reminding this frazzled old Jane's fan of the majestic sounds that came out of the car crash that was Perry's former band.

The new band consisted of Perry's wife on backing vocals and stripper-like dancing (the 15 year olds in the audience must have loved her), Nuno Bettencourt on guitar (yes, he of Extreme fame) and a couple of other LA style backing musicians but there was only one star in this group. The man who moved and spoke to the audience like Liberace on acid, the one and only Perry Farrell.

And so on to the headliners, who despite their enthusiasm and vigour could only muster a mediocre handclap from this audience member.

Perhaps it was because this was a pre-album release tour and some of the music was unknown to me. Perhaps it was because the songs I did know were performed as if by robots pretending to be VR. Or perhaps it was because the highlights of the set were the two above average covers, Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" and Talking Head's "Psycho Killer".

Maybe. All I can say is that it was an average performance, by an average band.

What has happened since the last time they played Cardiff, when they practically blew the roof off the CIA. This time the most rock and roll thing about their visit was the coverage in the local press about Slash and Matt Sorum breaking the new anti-smoking laws on stage. Compared to the debauchery and extremes of the members former bands that's a little disappointing.
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0900ente ... _page.html
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."