6/19/07 Melkweg, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Archived Perry & Satellite Party tour dates, reviews, and info
Eric B.
Be Live

6/19/07 Melkweg, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Post by Eric B. »

Last night was big fun. The place wasn't sold out. I think 500 or 600 people. It was enough to get the party going. Perry was in a very good mood. Talked a lot during the show. Shared Jagermeister and wine. It was good fun. I went there with my fiancee who never really was into Jane's. Even she enjoyed herself where I had anticipated that maybe I at times woukl be a little bit embarrassed for me being a longtime fan of this strange looking joker with bad vocals. None of this. Perry sang quite good. Really enjoyed himself which made for a good atmosphere. Nuno really was topnotch. I think Nuno is the saviour for Perry these days. I was more impressed by Nuno now than I was by Dave in 2003. The rest of the band did their jobs but no more than that.

The only really anoying thing was Etty. She doesn't do much on stage except dancing and posing. Thart was really beneath Perry I think. I think the way Etty appears on stage will make the band will not make new fans very easy. It's clear that her pressence is total bullshit. Other than that it was a nice night.

Lemme see if I can remember the setlist:

stop
Insanity rains
Kinky
Been caught stealing
wish upon a dogstar
ain't no right
Hard life easy
Milky Ave
Mountain song

encore
celebrate
ultra payloaded

Something like this. Don't know if it's the righht order though.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Nice review Eric B.
Seems mostly positive and it sounds like you and your lady had a good time.
I know some people don't care for Etty sharing the stage with Perry and that's fine.
I am curious though did you like her singing / her voice?
The last time I saw them I was impressed with Nuno's playing too.
He fits in nicely with what they're trying to do.
What did you think of Satellite Party's take on the Jane's songs?
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Eric B.
Be Live

Post by Eric B. »

You could hardly hear her so all she brought to the table was her anoying poses.

The Jane's songs were quite nice. SP only plays the more poppy Jane's tunes which fit quite good with the SP material. Seemed like an obvious blend to me. Of coarse the crowd went wild on the old tunes the most, but like I said: The Encore was the best part of the show.

The CD's, Posters and T-shirts sold really well. They did a good job overhere. Just heard Perry talk on national radio in a program called "workvitamines". A lot of people listen to that show which aims for middle of the road puplic. I found that quite funny. The former king of the underground on national radio for housewives and moron listeners.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Thanks again Eric :)
Here's a couple clips from the show.

Ultra - Payloaded Satellite Party
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX-GaVVaUks

Ain't No Right
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrWCDaGOaeo
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Satellite Party @ The Milky Way, Amsterdam, The Netherlands - 06-19-07
by krakle

pt.1
just woke up by someone mowing the lawn. made some coffee n switched on the puter. had a look in my agenda n made up today's schedule. scratched my arse n went to my inbox. in there, I find this email with a subject I didn't expect in my mail account for school.
turns out, my name's on the guest list for tonight's Satellite Party show in Amsterdam. I'd entered some contest before but my name wasn't on the list with winners then. I didn't buy tickets cuz I'm supposed to be studying hard at the moment. maybe the tickets aren't selling and management wants to have a good crowd? we'll see what happens tonight. I'll report.

pt.2
well, turns out I was right. ticket sales were so dramatic that SonyBMG decided to consult their Jane's Addiction/Perry Farrell fan-database at the last minute to fill up the guest list and by doing so.. filling the room as well. which eventually wasn't even that full, just nicely filled. enough to occasionally bump a dude, bringing drinks from the bar into the crowd.

the crowd, not talking about numbers, was very good. mainly positive spirited old-school (or maybe just old) Jane's Addiction fans (the ones with other feelings about it obviously stayed home or somewhere else). I think the youngest person in there was the lady friend of my fellow guest list buddy, who got the ticket from her mother for her 19th birthday.

in the end I think that the 30 euros that were asked for a ticket, were indeed too much for about one hour of actual show. especially since Satellite Party is a beginning band, not even having played one show here in this country before and with their debut album just out for about a week. the price was obviously higher than normal for that venue, probably because it was legendary PERRY Farrell's Satellite Party. but like logic tell us (well at least me): if Perry is well-known here, it is only with the people that like Jane's. so anyone not in that small select group of people certainly wouldn't pay for a ticket that's 50% higher than normal. and then it's doubtful that any Jane's fan would pay a 'Jane's price' for something that clearly isn't Jane's. I hope that my conclusion is also drawn in other places.

about the show, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the band (especially the keyboard lady ) and I loved Perry. Perry's still good, still an awesome front man to see in action. he spoke, ranted and chatted with the crowd between every song and it never became dull . the band was tight, but like a group of musicians who finished the pop academy or something. exactly knowing how to make a good show, but knowing it because of having studied it, not because of a pure and magical thing. and a bit too poppy for my taste. they were cool with two guys climbing the stage to dance with Perry and, of course, Etty. cool might not be the best word to describe the guys. though it is cool to defy security and to not give a fuck, stiff would be a better word to describe their act. it looked like they didn’t have much body movement since the last JA show. after a minute or two, it was a good thing that one of the roadies guided the guys off the stage.

new songs like Insanity Rains, Hard Life Easy and (the most part of) Milky Ave are doing really well live. so that was good to see. the Jane's covers played - they started the set with Stop. BCS, ANR & MS followed later - were not disturbing to me in any way. then again, I wasn’t one of the Jane’s fans that didn’t show up (although I needed that little push). the other SP songs I remember were Kinky, Dogstar, Celebrate & UltraPayloaded. but I think I named every song now. a pretty short set. I’m glad Perry’s still performing and touring the world, it would be a shame if he didn’t.

---
on a side note, I do not know who makes up ticket prices at all. for all I know it’s up to the venue for the biggest part and they asked the secret intelligence agency for heavy beer consumers to give SonyBMG a list of people to put on the guest list.
Thanks krakle for passing your review along.
I enjoyed it. :)