can someone please write a nice biography for perry?

Jane's Addiction news & discussion
sonny
Drama Queen

can someone please write a nice biography for perry?

Post by sonny »

we need one, i don't want to duplicate what is at other sites or wiki...

just give me something from the heart and we'll post it and give credit to the best one.

http://www.perryfarrell.net/biography/

this is yr chance to contribute :biggrin:
creep
Be Live

Post by creep »

i think tessa would do a great job with this
sonny
Drama Queen

Post by sonny »

creep wrote:i think tessa would do a great job with this
maybe...

chances are, i'll end up doing it :confused:
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

I suck at putting my thoughts to writing.
It's something I've always struggled with.
I have been thinking of trying to do something with all the research I've been doing.
95% or more of the bios out there are at least partially incorrect.
You know me I'd like whatever we use to be accurate. :)
I think your original idea of making a bio together as a group was terrific.
It's just to bad nothing came of it. :(
I'll try and start something and see where it goes.
Last edited by Mike on Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
subculture
The Co Co Club

Post by subculture »

Why not ask Etty to write it?
:)
[img]http://www.dharma-haven.org/tibetan/manihum3.jpg[/img]
sonny
Drama Queen

Post by sonny »

subculture wrote:Why not ask Etty to write it?
:)
she'd have to ask perry, considering she wasn't there originally...

that could be a good thing though... :twisted:
AdmitI
Power Tools

Here's an article & interview I did on Perry and Lolla 2

Post by AdmitI »

Perry Farrell: Musician & Activist

By Sam W. Wake

My love for music began the first time I heard The Beatles' White album as an 8-year-old. My friends and I would sing along and dance to the music. The songs just seemed to inspire something in us that would endure into adulthood. That something is the overwhelming belief that the world can be changed through music. It's not that farfetched. Think about it. Music changed the political landscape in the '60s and '70s. You might even say that music played a large role in ending the Vietnam War.

When John Lennon was murdered in 1980, rock and roll lost its statesman and I lost inspiration for hope. Ronald Reagan became President. It was not a very good year. Then in the summer of 1988 I picked up a copy of Jane's Addiction's Nothing's Shocking album, which was unlike anything I was listening to at the time (mostly punk rock, metal, and The Smiths). It had the edginess of punk and the guitar riffs of metal. And then there were the vocals/lyrics. Once again I was inspired.

In 1991 I made the drive to Mountain View Amphitheatre for the first Lollapalooza Festival, featuring Perry Farrells' Jane's Addiction, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Nine Inch Nails, Violent Femmes, and The Rollins Band. The show was unbelievable and the climate politically charged (Bush Sr. was in office and the country was experiencing the first Persian Gulf War). What struck me the most though was the audience's reaction to Farrell and his willingness to talk about the war and making changes in the country. In 1992 Bill Clinton was elected by an overwhelming turnout of youth voters.

Still don't think music can change the world? OK. Consider oppressive governments like the Taliban that outlaw music. What was one of the first things the Afghan people did after the Taliban's fall? They turned their radios back on and played music again.

On Jane's Addition's "Strays" album there is a song called "Superhero" in which Farrell sings "I'm not your average guy." He's right! Besides making great music, Perry Farrell gives his time and efforts to many good causes ranging from The Prince's Trust (UK charity that helps young people overcome barriers with training, mentoring, and financial assistance) to performing benefits for The Autism Coalition, and working with MoveOn.org. But by far, his most interesting work has been with the Swiss-based Christian Solidarity International (CSI). In 2001 Farrell spent seven days in Sudan helping free slaves through an "Underground Railroad" with help from local African leaders and a network of Arab slave retrievers who risk their lives to purchase the freedom of slaves. Farrell helped rescue over 2,300 people that week and helped them celebrate their newly found freedom by performing songs from what was his new solo album at the time, "Song Yet to Be Sung." The album is all about celebrating the Jubilee that happens WHERE? every 50 years. During the Jubilee year people forgive debt and free those who are in bondage. Sounds like a good thing to practice every year! To lend support to freeing the slaves of Sudan: www.iAbolish.com.

Lollapalooza is a traveling music festival featuring alternative rock, rap, and punk rock bands; dance and comedy performances; and craft booths. Organized in 1991 by Farrell, singer for Jane's Addiction, Lollapalooza ran annually through 1997, and was revived in 2003. The festival, which represented 1990s' youth culture like Woodstock symbolized 1960s'youth culture, always has included an educational element. Between bands you could learn about Rock the Vote, saving rainforests, and PETA. Lollapalooza 2005 was no different. Attendees were asked to participate in a virtual march for global warming: < www.stopglobalwarming.org>.

Lolla 2003 used the Biodiesel to power the generators. (Biodiesel is a cleaner burning fuel made from renewable resources like soybean oil. It is nontoxic and biodegradable).

Lollapalooza 05 was a destination festival held in Chicago's Grant Park (a beautiful set up! Chicago's skyline on one side and Lake Michigan on the other). The lineup included: The Pixies (who put on a greatest hit set with a few new tunes thrown in. It's rumored that they have a new CD coming out soon ), Weezer (the same), The Killers (who really surprised me with how good they are live. They closed their set with "All the things that I have done." Great song!), Ambulance LTD, Kaiser Chiefs (who stole the show with their set on Saturday. I highly recommend their CD, "Employment!"), Louis XIV, DJ Z-Trip, The Bravery, The Warlocks (awesome set! Just wish they had played at night), Liz Phair, The Arcade Fire, Cake (local boys did good!) and Farrell's new band, Satellite Party, was great! Can't wait for the CD! In all, there were over 60 bands on 5 stages over 2 days. So next summer, head to Chicago for the best organized music fest there is—Lollapalooza! For information: www.lollapalooza.com.

I would like to say a big THANK YOU to Perry Farrell, Charles Attal, Stacy and her great crew at Fresh and Clean Media, my mom, Dorothy Wake, for securing Lolla press passes, and all others involved with making this article happen.

Sam Wake can be contacted at: samwake@comcast.net

Now to the interview:

Operator: Our next question comes from Sam Wake, "Because People Matter."

Sam Wake: Yes, Lollapalooza 2005 is celebrating the art of invention. Can you explain a little bit what will take place at the event and what technology you see on the horizon that's going to change the way people live?

Perry Farrell: Hey, Charles, can you tell them a little bit about our little addition?

Charles Attal: Well, I can't just yet, because we're still working on it.

Perry Farrell: Oh.

Charles Attal: That's the only thing that I can't talk about right now, because we're still right in the middle of trying to get it figured out.

Perry Farrell: Oh, OK. Well, look, we know that we are in the process of creating an area. I know why. Is it because of what you told me last week?

Charles Attal: We're just not done with the deal yet.

Perry Farrell: Yes, we're not done with the deal yet. All right. Sorry, guys. But, you know what, if and when it happens, we will come through for you. We'll have something that will definitely be techy and fun.

Sam Wake: OK. And then I guess I have one more question. In the past, say like the '60s and '70s and early '90s, with Lollapalooza of music play (dot), a very large part in influencing social movements, such as the peace movement. Do you think music could play a role like that again and if so how?

Perry Farrell: Well, I mean – Charles, you want to answer that one?

Charles Attal: Well, I mean it's playing a big role now, with Bob Geldof ...

Perry Farrell: Yes.

Charles Attal: ... ((inaudible)) deal he's putting together. So, yes, I think that is – it's going to be as huge event, and so I think it is changing. I think what Bono's doing is changing things. I think there's a lot of musicians that are actually trying to make change right now. You know, I'm not old enough to know what actually – I read about what happened in the '60s and in the early '70s, but right now it seems like there's a movement that hasn't happened in 15 to 20 years, so we'll see how it works. I'm not sure what's going to happen with all the concerts, but it sure is raising world awareness right now, so we'll see.

Sam Wake: OK. And Perry, do you plan on doing any more work with the MoveOn.org (TAC)?

Perry Farrell: Well, I mean they didn't approach me this year. As you know, last year we really had something wonderful going and it was a crying shame that it got destroyed just days before we had a major, major movement, you know, set to go out. Unfortunately – I mean I couldn't slip it by certain people and it just didn't fly. I mean I actually feel that if we had gone on and done what we had planned that the country would be in a different place. I really believe that. I'll always believe that in my heart.

Sam Wake: Yes.

Perry Farrell: This year – you know, listen, I'll be honest with you, if you want to just look at Lollapalooza as a failure last year, I'm going to tell you right now, I put so much time and effort into trying to be in the political arena, to say it simply, and it seemed like nobody really cared. And is that a statement on society today – yes.

Sam Wake: Well, do you think it's a problem with the messenger or the message, or the recipient of message, or is it kind of a combination of the three?

Perry Farrell: Well, I think that there's a lot going on. Number one, we were stopped. So, you know, I will go – my first answer to you is, you know, we were stopped. We had things going on and we were pretty much stopped. But, I will also say that, as I say, I notice today that everybody's kind of on autopilot.

Perry Farrell: And you know, I'm sorry to say it, but I wanted to, this year, just clear my head of the whole politics, because I just tried to get back to my basics – what do I do that people enjoy and appreciate first. Well, the first thing is, you know, I have a party, where the greatest young musicians of the generation come and perform and we all get together and it's a cultural event and it's a cultural affair. Let's get back to the fun side of art and let's work from there. I mean it might sound small to you, but to the City of Chicago, we're enhancing their parks and that's the first thing that we're doing that is I guess what you would say, you know, a kind a generous thing to do for the planet. We are building inner-city parks for the City of Chicago.

And then we have to, you know, kind of build back out, because I feel like people weren't paying attention anyway. And you want to know something really bizarre? There was internal fights, even amongst the people that were for the Democrats, like amongst festivals. You know, people like vying for a position to have a festival and it became like whose going to make more money at festival year, using the whole, you know, political agenda, so that was even kind of goofy and bizarre to me. So, I felt like, you know, we could have been working together, but we were kind of fighting for space and, you know, dates and, you know, acts. So, I just kind of – as I say, I just kind of tried to dust it off this year and just get back to let's just have a good time, because, you know, that's important too.

Sam Wake: OK. And I just had one more question. I've seen you perform live probably four or five times, and it seems like you're really able to tap into almost like the pool of cosmic unconscious with your audience with a genuine warmth and love. What's your secret to doing that when you're performing?

Perry Farrell: Well, I guess the first things is, you know, if people are going to be there, you got to figure they already love you, so it's not that – you know what I mean. When I first performed it was a very testy thing, especially coming from the punk rock era. You know, things would be thrown and you didn't know if people liked you, but I guess when you stay in it for long enough, you got to figure if people are going to take the time to plan a trip to come and see you that they're your friends. So, you know, you open your door, you open up your heart and this is your moment. You're the guy who, for that moment, has a mike in your hand and it's beautiful outside and you got what you worked so hard all year for – you got Lollapalooza. So, you know what I mean?

Perry Farrell: You got to have fun, right? You got to let loose and you have to have courage and you have to be "muy macho".

Sam Wake: Well, thank you for your time today.

Perry Farrell: You're (welcome).

Sam Wake: I really appreciate it. Thank you.

Perry Farrell: OK.

Sam Wake: We'll see you at the (show).

Perry Farrell: All right.

Sam Wake: Thanks.

Perry Farrell: Bye.
sonny
Drama Queen

Post by sonny »

is that something you wrote?
AdmitI
Power Tools

Post by AdmitI »